New SUD

Started by Mitch750, April 16, 2017, 11:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitch750

Just picked up this little number off a gentleman in Falcon.

Was hoping to see if there are any parts out there. Would love to lower the car slightly.

Also, much of an alfa scene over here?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poohbah

Hi Mitch, and welcome. Great Sud - sure looks better than one owned by the guy round the corner from me which has been sitting in his carport in bits for at least two years!

There is a very active Alfa scene in WA - you should join the local club. There are informal club runs every month and various official trips, club events etc.

Contact the WA secretary Greg at secretaryarocawa1@gmail.com
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Mitch750

Awesome, thank you for the reply!

Yeh mine is shmiko, bought off an older gentleman who owned the car for 25 years

All rust work done

Also, any info on cilebertis? Ive been told to go there and service the car, just wondering about other peoples experience.

Cheers,

Mitch

poohbah

Highly recommend Cileberti's. Its where I take my Alfas. They know what they are doing and are very reasonable.

And its always fun to check out the other cars they have in the workshop and for sale. Always something interesting.
            1981 GTV

Mitch750

Oh fantastic i'll take it down there then!

I'm not to familiar with alfas.. kinda jumped in on this one blind. I have a number of old volkswagen golfs from the same era however.

poohbah

No problem. All the best with your Sud - it looks very nice and rust free, which is the usual reason that so few are still on the road.
            1981 GTV

ugame

+1 for Chilebertis

Great service and no "exotic tax" on labour rates.

I've trusted them with the cam belts services for 3 Alfas and no complaints from me at all.
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS
Present: 2002 GTV 2.0 TS | 147 TS | 74 Super Beetle | Porsche Cayman S 987.1
Future: I've stopped looking. Wife says "No more Alfas" lol.

poohbah

Hi Mitch - Looking at your pics again, I'd agree you should drop it a couple of inches, ideally so the top of your tyre is almost level with the lip of the wheel arch (see pic). The factory ride setting on Suds always looks way too high.
            1981 GTV

Mitch750

That looks so good! But how would I go about doing that!?

Sud aftermarket parts seem rare..

poohbah

Shouldn't be too complicated - I reckon most suspension shops could do it, or you could even ask the guys at Cileberti's for a quote. Seems that you can get adjustable Koni shocks for most types of Alfa (I've got em on my '81 GTV - though they were on the car when I bought it)

As a start, I recommend you search the 900 series section of this forum for posts on lowering Suds, or just post on that section asking for advice. There'll be plenty of folks who have direct knowledge of the best way forward.
            1981 GTV

poohbah

Mitch, I just did a quick search and there is a guy in Perth (Mike) who lowered his Sud a couple of years ago (link to his post below). Might also be worth your while sending him a private message for his advice. Reading some of the stuff suggests it can be a challenge locating the right springs and konis.

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=12276.msg82317#msg82317
            1981 GTV

Mitch750

Ill be getting on to this asap! :)

The car has just started to make a knocking noise when changing gears.. or when accelerating to not accelerating

So when the front end lifts up and comes back down it makes a knock in the front right hand side.. might take it to cilebertis asap! Hahaha

Otherwise no issues and i took her for a spin in the hills the other day too

poohbah

Good idea, and glad to hear you are enjoying the car.
            1981 GTV

Mitch750

It is now for sale :(
On gumtree.
Unfortunately some unforeseen issues came up in my life and I am no longer able to own the car.

I've advertised for what I personally believe it is worth. And have assessed the market atm in WA, aus and internationally.

For that reason I'm asking $8000 and am open to offers.

Mitch750

Update $6000 will now buy you this SUD