Selespeed Paddles vs Roadworthy (NSW/VIC/TAS)

Started by Citroënbender, April 15, 2017, 06:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

Hi, looking for some informed commentary please.

I know you can't pass a car with an engine fault light or message displaying, but if the paddles are not working on a Sele, you get a basic error message about the gearbox fault and no loss of performance. Is this a roadworthy fail?

Not a trick question, haven't got a canary or anything like that.

Just want to put freight on a car, then (within the year) re-register it interstate.  I don't like the OEM paddles much, they are dear as poison and one's presently stuffed. Saw some nice aftermarket ones (not the usual Fleabay jobbies) but they were almost $400 for something you can already do with the gearknob...

So, as inferred at the outset, not looking for hearsay or bickering/sniping, just any up-to-date knowledge on this one. 

Thanks!  :)

bazzbazz

Which model is it, 147, 156, 159? (There IS a reason I ask)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

bazzbazz

When you start the car and it does its checks, does it show a warning in the display indicating the error is the paddles or does it just give a generic gearbox/Selespeed error?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

Just a beeping alert, then generic fault message which remains as the gearbox icon when driving. Shifts into all gears, manual or city mode, accumulator pump runs for about 15 seconds when opening the door from cold, new (Penrite equivalent) Sele fluid and system bled up.

I can't communicate well (much) with this car using the current scan tools and sick of borrowing stuff so I ordered a full-fat MES kit off Gendan a couple of weeks back, but it's not here yet. 

Citroënbender

Box of goodies from Gendan (the MES kit) arrived today, woohoo, hopefully will have a crack at installing and trialling Sunday evening. Slightly worried it will conflict with the clunky French diagnostic software already on the lappy.