Failed selespeed actuator on my new 159!

Started by nicb205, April 11, 2017, 11:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicb205

So having owned my 159 for about a month, it had it's first trip to the mechanic on the back of a flat bed.
As the selespeed was changing down gears coming up to a stop sign it just shuddered and stopped and refused to get out of neutral.
Small puddle of selespeed oil on the ground.
Diagnosis is that the whole actuator assembly needs replacing. This one blew the c clip through the housing. No replacing of parts for this fix.
It's a good job I got a good deal on the car in the first place.
Around 3 grand fix if there's nothing else to replace.
Little bit sad.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

poohbah

Really sorry to hear that Nic.
Is it jsut he actuator you need to replace or whole trans?

Saw this on gumtree:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/smithfield/other-parts-accessories/selespeed-actuator/1097011407

Not sure where you are located, but I'd check out local sellers/wreckers (and gumtree) - you should be able to find a replacement somewhere and maybe save a few dollars.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

nicb205

Hmmm, for a 159?
I'll contact the seller and the mechanic

poohbah

Not sure - but if you do a hunt you should be able to find a replacement actuator from a wreck or parts/donor car.
            1981 GTV

poohbah

Also worth checking out this thread on this forum, and maybe PM a couple of the folks on here who know more about the selespeed. You may be able to find an alternative solution.

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=2570.0
            1981 GTV

poohbah

Nic,

You might want to call these guys in Melbourne. They say they are currently dismantling 159 Selespeed

http://www.alfadonninirepairs.com.au/alfa_159_parts.html
            1981 GTV

nicb205

bazzbazz

Ahhhhh just WHAT "c" clip was blown through WHAT housing?

I work on Selespeeds constantly and I have YET to ever come across any Selespeed where the whole actuator needs replacing, but then I could just be lucky. The only C clip on the 159 system I know of that could possible be blown off is the large C clip that holds the end plate of the clutch master cylinder assembly on, should that come adrift then you most likely could lose the internal piston. You can buy a second hand cylinder from a wrecker, and I personally know of where one is, or you can buy a new one from Alfa Workshop, they used to sell them.

Find out if it IS the Master Clutch Cylinder that has failed, if so, let me know and I'll give my contact a call and see if he still has the used one on hand.

Baz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

nicb205

Quote from: bazzbazz on April 12, 2017, 10:52:28 PM
Ahhhhh just WHAT "c" clip was blown through WHAT housing?

I work on Selespeeds constantly and I have YET to ever come across any Selespeed where the whole actuator needs replacing, but then I could just be lucky. The only C clip on the 159 system I know of that could possible be blown off is the large C clip that holds the end plate of the clutch master cylinder assembly on, should that come adrift then you most likely could lose the internal piston. You can buy a second hand cylinder from a wrecker, and I personally know of where one is, or you can buy a new one from Alfa Workshop, they used to sell them.

Find out if it IS the Master Clutch Cylinder that has failed, if so, let me know and I'll give my contact a call and see if he still has the used one on hand.

Baz
Baz,
If I was in Melbourne I'd probably have brought it to you [emoji6]
I was recommended this mechanic here in SA and truth be told it was a beautiful sight in there full of classic and race Alfas at Eurosport.
I'd actually ring around that very morning for quotes for a 70k service and they were the best and had the best feeling from them.
Might ask for a photo.
He did say usually they can replace a part of the assembly or repair but not this time.
Cheers,

Nic

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

bazzbazz

Its worth getting a photo, as if it is what I described the repair bill would be in the hundreds, not thousands.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

nicb205

Got it back today after the mechanic needed to wait for the part.
I don't know if I'm just imagining it but the clutch part of the selespeed seems smoother. Previously it was quite grabby particularly 1st and 2nd.
Here's the offending part.

bazzbazz

Well that IS the exact part I was referring to, and yes that IS the exact point where the circlip is that I was expecting to have popped off and blown out the disk.

But I will be honest, was NOT expecting the retaining part of the casting that holds the circlip in to fracture and let loose!!!  :o

That's the first I have ever seen or heard of such a failure.

What ever you do, don't throw any of that away, there's a lot of handy spares in there that you could use one day.

HANG ON!!!  WAIT A MINUTE!!!!

Did they replace the whole actuator unit just because THAT part failed!!!!

Those incompetent idiots. As I said originally, the Master Clutch Cylinder of the Selespeed unit is what is failed there and it can be bought separately from various suppliers.

Here's one of them -

https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Details&ProdID=7010&sku=257714

To replace the Master Cylinder there is only 1 - 1.5 hours labour and a fraction of the price of the whole actuator unit. As I originally said, there is NEVER ANY REASON to replace the whole actuator !!

Sorry if I come off heavy handed here but I can not stand the standard practise of lazy/ignorant/uneducated service providers that just trot out the usual

"oh the selsepeed has had a 2 cent o-ring wear out . . . . quick! Change the whole actuator and charge the customer $3000".

There used to be a time where there were educated, trained, talented individuals call Mechanics! These were people that actually were trained to use the hands AND there brains to solve mechanical issues, think creatively, and try to save there poor sod that is the customer from going bankrupt by using their skills to actually FIX things!!

Now unfortunately because cars now have computer chips in them the idiots in the workshop act as though it's a windows laptop and work on the theory that every thing is plug and play and they no longer have to think.

The best way to explain what they have done here in your case is to put it this way . . . . if the water pump in your engine started to leak . . . and the only way they could fix it was to replace the whole engine and charge you $10,000.

Rant Mode Off !   ::)

PS - Oh and the reason the clutch seems smoother is because the clutch fluid reservoir in the old unit most likely has never been cleaned and had the old fluid and gunk flushed out and the unit serviced and calibrated, as it should be every 12 months.   ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

nicb205

Thanks Baz.