Alfa 156 Key Fob Remote Failure

Started by Watermerron, April 05, 2017, 01:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watermerron

Recently bought my second 156 :) :) Unfortunately since I last test drove the car the remote locking has stopped working on the key.

I have had a look over previous posts on the forum and have accordingly tried recalibrating the key by removing and reinserting the battery while pressing the buttons.

I am fairly certain its not the battery as the red LED comes on when pressing the boot button (not when "lock" is pressed however).

I then took apart the key and everything seemed to be in order. The two metal nodes which activate the buttons, excuse the terminology, were attached to the circuitboard, however the top metal half and rubber filler come loose every now and then. I have tried pushing them back together, but this doesn't make the key work.

Do they need to be soldered together? What to do? Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Cal

poohbah

I'd try changing the battery regardless of the red light.

Don't laugh, but you could also try the old Clarkson trick of holding the fob to your temple, and then try the button. For some reason doing this seems to magnify the signal. If it works, then it will just be the battery.

(I know it sounds crazy, but have a play with any other car and remote fob - you can unlock/lock the doors from a much greater distance when you hold the thing to your head. Probably gives you brain cancer, but still... ;D)
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bazzbazz

Yes, change the battery, if when you press the boot button and the light pulses then the boot SHOULD open. See what happens with new battery.

As for the central locking you need to also replace the button for the remote locking, if it's fallen apart the internal contact disc has most likely disappeared. you can get surface mount micro switches that will do the job from Jaycar. Hope you have a fine tipped  soldering iron.   :)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Watermerron

Thanks for the advice, I got a new battery and I don't think that was the issue. Still a flashing LED for the boot button but no response. Anyone know a person or place that would be willing to look at the circuitry for me?

Is it expensive just to replace that component?

Citroënbender

Not overly, as Baz describes you can buy a compatible microswitch from Jaycar stores and have it soldered in by a competent techie (if you're not au fait with a fine-tipped iron).

I've attached here, a link to a Fleabay search that shows some options offshore:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=alfa+156+key+repair&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=15

If you only have one key it makes sending away for repair, more impractical. Consider having a simple clone made if this is the case, then sending the remote one off to be fixed.

(Edit to add: In fact, having only one key is a recipe that's likely to end in tears. Hindsight and self-recrimination aren't worth a cracker.)

Watermerron

Quote from: bazzbazz on April 05, 2017, 08:03:40 PM
Yes, change the battery, if when you press the boot button and the light pulses then the boot SHOULD open. See what happens with new battery.

As for the central locking you need to also replace the button for the remote locking, if it's fallen apart the internal contact disc has most likely disappeared. you can get surface mount micro switches that will do the job from Jaycar. Hope you have a fine tipped  soldering iron.   :)

Baz

Baz,

Read in a previous post that you offer soldering services? Would you be down to whip out the old iron for a young Alfisti. I do have a second manual key which I can use in the mean time.

Otherwise I will follow Citroen's advice and send it off for repair.

Thanks for your help guys!