1980 Alfetta GTV

Started by kartone, March 31, 2017, 01:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartone

I am mechanically inclined and have the tools to do the job, I intend to change the clutch slave cylinder & hose on the Alfetta, any tips?
Many thanks.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

bonno

Hi
Recently did my clutch slave cylinder on my 83 GTV4 and found it fairly straight forward. Several tips  in undertaking this job are as follows;
     - lift the rear of the car as high as possible and support it on stands.
     - removal of flexible pipe attached to slave cylinder will require the use of a flare spanner.
     - new clutch slave cylinder and flexible hose (approx. $150 includes freight Australia wide).
     - effectively bleed clutch  master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder (might require several attempts to get good pedal).
     - replace with new hydraulic fluid.
Regards
bonno

kartone

Thanks Bono. I have a vacuum pump therefore purging the line should be relatively easy. Enjoy the weekend.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

bonno

Thanks
Hope to as I will be going down to Canberra for Auto Italia!!. Will be joining the 2 day convoy departing Sydney on Saturday and returning Sunday. There should be some fabulous machines on show, hopefully the weather will be kind to us.
bonno 

GTVeloce

I have always found bleeding the clutch difficult, especially after changing the MC but the last couple of times I changed the slave I have just hooked everything back up and let it drip bleed (no pedal pressure). It was enough to get a pedal. Drive it for a couple of days and hey presto its just like it should be.

It is also very easy to do and requires no tools to accomplish the job. Just try not to lose too much fluid in swapping the cylinders over.

Other tip, seal the rubber boot over the clutch fork with shoe goo or similar if you haven't already. Keeps the dirt out.

kartone

Thanks GTVeloce. Yes, I ran into the bleeding issue when changing the MC, then I bought a vacuum pump and vacuumed the hell out of the line from the slave cylinder side and presto all resolved! I use silicone dabs to hold the dust boot in place.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV