Electrical issue; Dash Lights

Started by gtv6sv, April 14, 2017, 09:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtv6sv

Hey guys,

My GTV6's clock, speedo and tachometer dash lights were working fine one night then when I turned the car back on after driving they did not light up at all.  The dash lights in the middle (fuel, oil pressure etc) still work.

Does anyone know the cause of this or how to fix? I'm not  auto electrical savvy so any sort of advice is much welcomed!

Thanks in advanced, Stefan.
1970 1750 Berlina
1983 GTV 2.0
1985 GTV6 2.5
1991 164 Q 12V
1992 33 16V S
1999 GTV Twin Spark

bonno

Hi GTV6SV
I am no auto electrician, but what you have described, I initially suspected a blown fuse, but you say the lights for the instrument cluster are working not the others. I would still check the fuses to see they are all ok, but if not then I suggest your instrument cluster globe/s have blown or  the instrument cluster is shot (are instruments working if so you can rule out shot instrument cluster). Quite easy to replace just undo 4 screws that hold the instrument cluster onto the dash and carefully remove with the associated wiring connecter, replace blown globes and your back in business. Just one important point when you start this job is to disconnect the battery or you could cause some other damage like one other forum member did recently with a burnt wire causing him to remove the dashboard and repair burnt wires resulting from a short. This was not me by the way.
Cheers
bonno

gtv6sv

Hi Bonno,

Cheers for that! Gauges are still working so let's just hope it is just the lights!

I have check the fuses and they all seem to be in proper working order, no splits or black burnt bits.

Will definitely disconnect the battery, last thin I need is to burn out the electrical system haha!
1970 1750 Berlina
1983 GTV 2.0
1985 GTV6 2.5
1991 164 Q 12V
1992 33 16V S
1999 GTV Twin Spark

V AR 164

Hey mate,

Haven't been around GTV's to know them that well, so I will ask if they have a brightness switch/controller on the dash?

I have had issues when my dash hasn't lit up and it turned out to be a loose connection at the brightness switch.

If they don't have one, and all the fuses seem to be in order, maybe it could be a faulty relay?

Yes it could be the bulbs, but I find it weird how they all stopped working at the same time which leads me to believe there is an issue along the circuit somewhere.

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

bonno

Hi GTV6SV
I recently replaced the dash on my GTV4 split dash model and took photos along the way to aid in the re-installation.  I have included photos of the instrument cluster containing the gauges and tacho to give you an idea of what to expect. Apart from replacing blown globes, also check the condition of tracks on the electronic circuit board (track breaks).
cheers
bonno

Al Campbell

+1 for check the dimmer. While you have the instrument cluster out pull the connectors off the edge of the flexible printed circuit board and check for corrosion. May even have a wire come loose. I had the same thing happen to me once, whilst driving. Can't remember but there may even be an earth just for the dash lights. If you've got an old ALFA get yourself a tube of dielectric grease and go around the car and where ever you find an earth to body metal, undo it, polish it up with some fine wet-and-dry add a squirt of dielectric grease and do it back up. I seem to remember some high up on the bulkhead behind the dash. I also seem to remember a lot of time upside down with my head on the floor of the GTV6 working behind the dash. ::)

gtv6sv

Hey guys,

As AL pointed out, it was just an ever so slightly loose wire behind the fuses box!

All is well and working! Cheers for all the info!
1970 1750 Berlina
1983 GTV 2.0
1985 GTV6 2.5
1991 164 Q 12V
1992 33 16V S
1999 GTV Twin Spark