Alfetta GTV refurbished split dash replacement

Started by bonno, March 25, 2017, 10:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonno

Hi fellow Alfistis
Just sharing my experience on the subject providing before and after shots of the removal and installation.  To aid in the installation of the refurbished dash, I took photos of the removal process,  taking particular attention to the wiring of switches and instrumentation.   The only issue experienced was the discovery of the hazard switch being inoperable and associated wiring carried out to by-pass this switch, thus allowing blinkers to operate. This involved re-wiring iaw diagram depicted on the workshop manual and the replacement of hazard switch, which by the way was only available new from O/S supplier. Anyone contemplating to undertake this work, it is highly recommended that a donor dash be used to be re-furbished, because the time frame to have this work done can take several months, thus avoiding your car being off the road for this period.  If there is a particular interest in removal and installation, I might develop a power point presentation and post on the net to aid future Alfetta GTV owners.

Regards
bonno

GranTurismoVeloce

Looks great. Now all it needs is the wood grain steering wheel to match!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonno

Thanks GTV
I have an original steering wheel which I  re-stained and lacquered that's ready to be put in, hopefully I can fit it before I take her down to Auto Italia next weekend.

Regards
bonno

poohbah

Nice work Bonno. My hazard switch doesn't work either. I think I'll leave it that way!

The only thing wrong with my dash is the fake chrome strip is a bit bubbled in one spot. Did you replace it? If so, can you pull it off easy, and what did you replace/repair it with?
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bonno

Hi Poohbah
All trim pieces had to be removed, so that the dash could be refurbished. The chrome strip your  referring to is plastic and mine had this finish removed to aluminium appearance (wear/ age). All trim pieces were carefully lifted off the dash and on return from refurbishment the trim pieces were stuck on using silicone sealant. The upper trims pieces are fastened to the dash. I have attached photo of the product used and tools to perform the task.
Cheers
bonno

poohbah

1981 GTV

bonno

Hi fellow Alfistis
Installed OEM steering wheel and now she is ready for Auto Italia. I will be bringing the steering that I took off and hope to sell (asking $150) amongst some other parts that I no longer require. I will post details and photos later today. I have attached photos of the OEM wheel fitted and the wheel for sale.
bonno

bonno

List of items to be sold at Auto Italia by bonno
1.   Steering Wheel $150.
2.   A-Frame trims $20
3.   Qty 2 Serpent Decals $5.
4.   LHS door handle broken handle $10.
5.   Upper dash trim pieces complete with no broken screws $30.
6.   Plastic Ducts for dashboard center and outer $30.
7.   Indicator assembly broken tab (can be attached using silicone) $5.
8.     AR panel & Reflective tape $10.
Regards
bonno

kartone

Bonno, shouldn't the hazard lights switch be red in colour?
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

bonno

Hazard switch is definitely red. Refer photo it's located on the veneer trim!!! Also forgot to include photo of serpent decals in my previous post.
bonno 

bonno

As there has been no interest in a presentation on the "How To" replace dash on the Alfetta GTV,  I will not be proceeding to develop and upload a power point presentation. Have deleted all photos from my phone, as I have run out of space.
Cheers
bonno

kartone

Bonno, what the yellow push-button switches, one is the rear window defroster, the other?
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

bonno

Hi
Yes one of the switches is the rear window demister and the other is for spot lights which I don't have fitted, but rewired as per original installation (symbol on switches). Your previous query on the hazard switch regarding colour being red. I can confirm it is red and operates when switch is pressed into the on position. The old hazard switch was glued in the off position and rewired to allow operation of blinkers (switch was unable to detent when operated).
cheers
bonno

kartone

I always wanted to install a set of original fog lights & switch; heading to Italy next month and hoping to source a set!
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

poohbah

Quoteheading to Italy next month and hoping to source a set
Now that's commitment...
            1981 GTV