147 Remote Fobs - Adding LED

Started by Citroënbender, March 24, 2017, 09:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

[Digression below the asterisks.]

I've noticed at least some of the fob transmitter boards without LEDs still have the solder pads.  It leads me to imagine that perhaps one could just solder an SMD LED on and everything would be hunky dory. 

Looking at the options though, on Element 14, the choices are a bit baffling for someone with nil experience in spec'ing electronic devices (and without a scope to freeze an image of transient waveform taken from the solder pads). 

So...  Is it physically possible (I mean, is there a driving voltage applied to the terminal pads irrespective of an LED being fitted or not)? Then...  If it is, would anyone be willing to share specs or opinions on which SMD is the best match?

Cheers for any input.

Related content.

I have just received a couple of "cut to photo" flip keys from Ben at KeysinthePost in the UK, they fit/turn perfectly as I expected but of course need virginal T6/ID48s cloning to make them driving keys. Being in Sydney I was going to give the mobile bloke based at Elanora Heights a burl, but open to suggestions - don't know how many other locksmiths have an M-Snoop and M-Box.

At the same time it seemed ideal to fit S/H TX boards to the new cases and try my hand at coding these remotes in with MES.  Hence the LED question, as the new aftermarket cases appear to have a window for an LED to show.

bazzbazz

You can get suitable SMD red LEDs from Jaycar, you just need to get the polarity right when you solder em on. As the LED is the only component removed from the board it SHOULD work just fine.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

Thanks Bazz,

Jaycar definitely looks the easy fix for a small sale. 

I did a little sleuthing too, decided it was weak of me to ask a question without exhausting my own efforts. ROHM make the "SML-01" prefixed range of LEDs, these come in the size measured on another transmitter fob of 2×3mm by 1.3mm tall.  At 67¢ plus GST a pop, plus the $12.95 postage/handing fee of Element 14 - it's why Jaycar comes out ahead...