Any Advice For This New Alfa Owner

Started by 2004_156_Ti, March 22, 2017, 07:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2004_156_Ti

I bought an Alfa 2004 156 Ti last friday (for $2k) and today it's at Battaglia Garage. The mechanic reckons it sounds like the camshafts are damaged (the engine is a bit noisy). He's going to open it up to find the problem and gimme a quote. Sad thing is he thinks it might need a new engine most likely (from Sydney!). He said that bits of metal might be all through the oil/engine so fixing camshaft won't help. Could set me back $6k if this really is the problem and I decide to go with it. On the one hand its such a nice car (I don't want to see it die!) but on the other it could be so expensive to fix!
Anyhow does this engine problem scenario sound familiar to you guys? Should I get a second opinion on the quote? Or gimme any advice, there seems to be some knowledgable people here.

Cheers

gtv19

Hello 156 owner, I hope you have sorted out the problem with the car. They can be very frustrating but a great joy to drive when they are performing well. Why not pop into the Alfa Club SA meeting at the Sporting Car Club headquarters on 51 King William Rd Unley on Thursday week at 730-800. There is plenty of like minded Alfa owners to talk to. Check out our website www.alfaclubsa.org.au.

Cheers,

Laurie
Past President etc
current,
alfa 3.2gt (q2)
159 2.4 Diesel Ti sportwagon
147 twinspark manual
past

105 spider (modified)
alfetta gtv twin spark
156 Ti selespeed x2
1.8gt`s 3 of
Alfetta sedan (sprint car)
105 series spiders(2)

gtv19

Howdy mate, I hope you have sorted out the problems.

Cheers
current,
alfa 3.2gt (q2)
159 2.4 Diesel Ti sportwagon
147 twinspark manual
past

105 spider (modified)
alfetta gtv twin spark
156 Ti selespeed x2
1.8gt`s 3 of
Alfetta sedan (sprint car)
105 series spiders(2)

2004_156_Ti

In the end it'll cost around $7k to fix... ouch. I attatched the quote below, anyone have any suggestions what to do?

Garibaldi

You certainly bought the car cheap enough.

If the body, steering and suspension is ok I would be probably pay to get it repaired.

The other alternative is to sell it and try and get your $2K back.

Good luck with whatever you decide.  :)

alfagtv152

Hi there,
I am also the owner of 2004 156 TI sillyspeed and I love it. I am in my second season of circuit sprinting in it.
As to your dilemma, You are between a rock and a hard place!. If you repair it you will have good sporty car to drive around but you will be well and truly over capitalised for the value of the car. You could buy another quite good 156 for the same money but you may still have to do belts etc.
Good luck!
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

alfagtv152

What are the details of the car?,ie colour,trans,etc,etc.
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

Darryl

Sell it for parts. Buy a (good) V6 156 instead. It will still cost money - but you will enjoy it!

Or with slightly less opinion...

Just what version to buy is debatable, but as you have noticed, these cars are undervalued. Which means you should try to find a good one, not overcapitalise by fixing a bad one.

Of course practical considerations like available funds and needing a car do come into play... If you can afford to be patient and find a good car with a motivated seller.... If you can't, and you are looking at this as a longish term "commitment" it MIGHT be ok. Ask your mechanic what he thinks of the condition of the rest of it mechanically? It could get very expensive and/or frustrating if the car is a bit sad all around.... Is it a Selespeed?

poohbah

Really sorry to hear how it turned out mate. Sounds like you were dealt a dud hand by the seller.

For what its worth - I'd cut my losses and try and get what back what you can of your $2k by selling it for whatever you can get (parts will fetch more, but will take longer) rather than spending another $7k on a replacement motor).

But as someone now onto his second 156, I'd encourage you to use whatever you get back and put it toward another (better) 156. They are brilliant cars.

If you look long enough, you should be able to find a decent one with proper history for under $5k.

Like Darryl suggests I'd try to find a V6 manual - they are the most robust, make the best sound and have the most poke.

But if you choose a 2L, I'd steer clear of the selespeeds, and get one that doesn't need the timing belt replaced for at least another 12-18 months. That will hopefully give you some breathing space to enjoy it before you need to write another big cheque (the belt has to be replaced every 3 years or 60,000km - religiously - and its a +$1500 job)

All the best and I hope this doesn't put you off Alfa ownership for good.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

alanm

To answer your question 'does this sound familiar' - yes it does.
The 2004 model is a JTS engine which are known to destroy cam shafts as a result of less than perfect servicing and maintainence. Fresh, high quality oil of the correct grade every 5000klms might have prevented the problem.
The twin spark 2 litre (1999 - 2002?) and the 2.5 V6 are more owner friendly options.
The 156 is a great car, I highly recommend them, maybe not a neglected JTS though...
Cheers,
Al
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

Neil Choi

See if you can get another opinion.  Go see Peter Axford at Eurosport (08) 8362 2333.  He is a good Alfa member and a good mate.
If the engine is noisy ie sounds like a diesel, then definitely worn cams, you can pull cams cover off and see for yourself.  You might be lucky in just needing cams.  Needs to be first hand diagnosis ie see Peter or other mechanic, an Alfa one.

dehne

$7000 is very steep, you can buy a 159 for that. I would part the car out and either buy a late model 156, but would look around as the GT's, Brera's and other models are all reasonably priced ATM for that price
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

martym00se72

That quote has $20 spark plugs, makes me think the rest might be a bit high too... Unless that is the going rate for a set of nkg plugs from a workshop.
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

Storm_X

I would personally not do it. That price is ridiculous.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Gtv6

I have dealt with the mechanic in question. Take your business elsewhere.