After a little advice/direction -

Started by midnight, March 21, 2017, 07:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnight

Hi all,

I'm after a little advice and I am
As green as a 'granny smith' when it comes to the Alfa brand.....

To cut a long story short my wife has fallen in love with the 159's - pref a sport wagon but would consider a sedan, after having a look around they seem like good bang for your buck, all she has requested is s sunroof and Sat Nav, budget around 15k.

What variants seem to be trouble free? -

Anything to look out for?

After a quick google search the TBI seems to be attractive, any and all advice is grateful!

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pasey25

Very very few come with sat nav. You can replace the stock head unit with one with nav or carplay.

Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100
2001 156 Monza Sele 2.0TS
2010 159 TI 2.4 SW

bazzbazz

Any well cared for petrol 159, whether it be 1750 TBi, 2.2 or V6 should be pretty well trouble free.

While I personally LOVE the power and economy of the 2.4 Diesel, they do suffer from more problems with EGR/Intake manifolds/ swirl valves ect.

Any car that you test drive DEMAND that the car be cold or you'll turn around and walk away! It is at cold start up where you can tell easiest if the car has any foibles. And take it for a GOOD test drive, over both rough & smooth, low & high speed sections. Offer to pay for fuel if you have to. And even though it's someone else's car, give the thing a bloody good boot full, it's under load where you will pick up on faulty coils & misfires, just let the owner know what your about to do, and why though . . . . . it usually avoids white knuckled screams of terror!   ;)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

midnight

Thanks gents, appreciate the feedback......

That makes sense re Sat Nav as all of my online perusing of cars with it is coming up dead, anyone know of a decent aftermarket Sat Nav that can be retrofitted without much hassle?

I was behind a 159 wagon yesterday and it was very easy on the eye, sat on the road nicely too.

I'll start looking at variants and years soon so if anyone has any input (any big differences in produced years of the 159?) I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance.

Colin Edwards

See if you can lay your hands on 2008 or later car.  These are about 60kg lighter than earlier cars and feature revised spec suspension bushes.

A fully documented service history is also a must.
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

midnight

Thanks Col, good man, I appreciate the help

nicb205

Quote from: midnight on March 22, 2017, 06:51:34 AM
Thanks gents, appreciate the feedback......

That makes sense re Sat Nav as all of my online perusing of cars with it is coming up dead, anyone know of a decent aftermarket Sat Nav that can be retrofitted without much hassle?

I was behind a 159 wagon yesterday and it was very easy on the eye, sat on the road nicely too.

I'll start looking at variants and years soon so if anyone has any input (any big differences in produced years of the 159?) I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance.

Have a look on Gumtree for Alfa 159 GPS DVD head unit.
I just bought my 159 petrol wagon a couple of weeks ago and have a GPS unit on order.
Goaudiosystems in Hurstville NSW.
Mine hasn't been delivered yet but I can't wait

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk