Build a series 3 156 GTA

Started by psproule, March 09, 2017, 08:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psproule

This is in the "probably wont happen but is tempting" category.... We have both a series 1 2001 156 TS Sele and a series 3 2006 (Facelift) 156 JTS Sele. We have basically rebuilt both of them. Now I happen to know where I can get my hands on an 07 GT lowish km wreck complete with the last of the 3.2 Busso's and a 6 speed manual. Given that the GT is built on a 156 I gather the running gear should fit the 06 156. Alfa never made a facelift 156 GTA, but I could :)

Am I mad? Wiring loom and ECU's might be interesting. But wiring is right up my alley. Rego might be an issue - 3.2 was never fitted to this series, only 2.5. Probably should sell and just buy a decent GT? Hmmmm....

Pat

poohbah

I like the idea, but wouldn't it be easier, and more "authentic", to buy a gta and fit a facelifted nose? Cos I bet that's all Alfa would have done if they could be bothered.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

V AR 164

Surprised no one has brought this up earlier, would definitely be a cool project and I don't see why it couldn't work.

The only issue is that Alfa just didn't plop in a 3.2 and call it done. A lot of other upgrades would have to be made such as suspension, brakes, interior etc to earn the GTA badge.

Personally I would only build such car for track use only as most likely registering it would prove to be a hassle because as you mentioned, the 3.2 never was sold in the later series cars.

IMO it would be a better option to buy a GTA and swap the updated bumpers over with headlights etc.

Check out this thread: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-andamp-upgrades/127858-obd-kwp2000-for-156-gta-3-7l.html

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

poohbah

Only thing with putting a facelifted nose on a GTA is that it would probably require a lot of fettling. Pretty sure I read somewhere that virtually none of the standard 156 panels actually fit a GTA.

But I reckon you could use the last versions of the 156 touring car as a rough guide for how it might look. There's probably even a body kit available from Europe if you look hard enough.
            1981 GTV

Craig_m67

The GTA (obviously) has flared arches (front wings and rear).

The 156 Crosswagon which wasn't sold in RHD (or Aust.) has flared facelift front wings which can be used, although they're rare as hens teeth so it's probably easier to have a fabricator modify some original GTA wings (rare too) to suit the new bumper/headlight profile. Facelifting an older car requires; bonnet, wings, bumper, slam panel and radiator panel (to do it properly). New boot or tailgaite and bumper. Apart from the radiator panel they will all just bolt on.

The GT is more 147 based than 156, and comes with CANbus electrics - the 156 doesn't so body computer issues may present.

Otherwise, mechanically (donk, brakes, etc) everything will just bolt on.
i'd be inclined to do a GTA sportwagon.. far cooler car
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

GTVeloce

I am sure I read somewhere that you could get away with increasing displacement (2.5 to 3.2) is allowed provided it wasn't more than a certain percent above the original. Don't remember what the percent was sorry. Provided you meet that requirement the engine shouldn't be a problem. I remeber this from my research into fitting a 3.0 into a GTV6.

You should also add the GTA brakes and suspension but they are easily done and shouldn't be a problem either.

Wiring would be fun but you imply you are fairly comfortable with that.

I would investigate the modification rules just to make sure you comply and do it. Sounds like a great and very achievable project.

poohbah

Surely the regs would allow fitting the 3.2 it as long as the work is done properly and the finished car is roadworthy? How would it be any different to a custom hotrod, where you might have a Ford body and running gear, but a big block GM motor?

Especially given the 3.2 is just a modified version of the standard V6 by the same manufacturer.

If you go ahead, my only suggestion is don't badge it GTA - that would be a bit like all those Faker Shakers you used to see around the suburbs 25 years ago. I'd keep it stealthy - well, as stealthy as a 156 3.2 with GTA flared arches, bonnet bulges etc could be. ;D

1981 GTV

psproule

Thanks for the comments and suggestions folks. A couple of replies;

I couldn't bring myself to facelift a real GTA. I reckon the GTA is a modern classic and should be preserved. Traditionalist Alfisti need not flame me! I wouldn't badge it as a GTA either. Sacrilege. Late 156 has some CANBUS by the way. Discovered that when trying to fit the later sele ECU to the 01 156. The late sele software is so much better than the old by the way. But it wouldn't work and poking around with the laptop and pinouts reveals CANBUS missing on the old loom but present on the newer one.

As everyone points out, there are quite a few other differences such as brakes, wheel arches, body kit etc. All doable. But the fact a GT is more 147 could be a concern. Will see what happens with the sale of the GT.....

Pat

rowan_bris

Is it the GT written off for "unexplained reasons".  I would just buy a GTA or a GT...

bteoh

Rules may be different state to state. I believe in WA, you can increase engine displacement by 25% without getting it engineered.

rowan_bris

I am pretty sure Queensland in 20% because that issue came up when I put the 3.2 into my GTV6

105greg

Just a point . The gta engine is marginally different to the gts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk