Per Sempre Alfa Magazine Column

Started by Brera07, March 09, 2017, 10:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brera07

Hi everyone

Since joining the club last year at the AGM I have been frustrated at my inability to attend club meetings and club runs due to work commitments. This has prevented me from getting to know who the members are and to tap into their experiences and back stories.

To that end, last week I discussed a Get to Know the members section in our Per Sempre Alfa magazine with the editor Darryl Green.

Further, last night at the club meeting we were treated to an outstanding talk by club member Joe Wilson who entertained us with some incredible detail about various cars he has owned over the past 50 odd years. For those members who could not attend you missed out on a real treat, Joe has owned and re-built some truly amazing machinery.

However, it merely underlined the stories that I feel need to be shared with members like myself, a newbie, would like to know more about the experiences and knowledge of our members. Perhaps not so much a "need" more a curiosity about the person and their experiences but I think you get my drift.

Darryl agreed that it would be a good idea to gather some stories for the magazine and I have put my hand up to perform the task. I have spent a lifetime interviewing people and compiling reports on those interviews so I feel relatively comfortable in such a role, however after listening to the senior members talking last night I left feeling a little bit like a kid on his first day at school which also contributed to my neglecting to raise this issue at the meeting last night.

Nevertheless, I would love to have a crack at talking with those who would be interested in sharing some of their experiences in the magazine for all to read. I envisage it will be a fairly informal piece that will revolve around a set number of questions written into a more readable form than just Q & A and then delving into anything of extra interest that might arise.

It would be fantastic to think everyone would consider contributing their story to the club magazine at some point in the future.

I look forward to your feedback on this issue and even more so to getting to know those who would like to contribute. I will be attending the Rudds Run on Sunday if anyone would like to approach me directly.

Regards
Dan

Darryl

Thanks Dan. I also missed my moment (and should have picked a better seat) at the meeting. I'd encourage people to have a bit of a yarn with Dan, however unremarkable or tired you think your story is. While Joe Wilson's story as a whole is exceptional, I think we can also relate to parts of it, some episodes more than others. So whether you have one episode or an epic to relate, please get in touch.

Thanks
Darryl.

ItalCarGuy

I wish I had thought of this myself a few months back as a close friend and colleague is an Alfa nut from way back but has a very short time left... He was a foundation member of the QLD AROC back in the 70's and had many great stories to tell.

What a great initiative.

Brera07

Hi Derek

I sent you a PM can you check if you received it please as I don't know if it sent correctly.

Thanks
Dan

ItalCarGuy

Hi Dan, I responded to your PM so hopefully you received it.