147 Rear Strut Mount Variance

Started by Citroënbender, March 08, 2017, 08:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

Hi,

I've trawled quite a bit through the Alfa corners of the 'net before either joining or posting here, it's a semi technical item.

As many 147 owners are aware, there are basically two rear strut mounts for the 147, the "standard springs, non-V6" version and the "V6, or lowered suspension with other motor" version.  My '02 Selespeed is due four new shocks and Demon Tweeks have offered me a good price on B6s to my door; good enough that I started wondering about sniffing out some used Ti springs. Of course then you'd do the top mounts front and rear, it would be daft not to.

What are the physical differences in manufacture? Does one have a different geometry? Is one thicker metal, or is the centre riser a different height? Different Shore numbers on the spring pad or locating cone?  There's got to be a hoarder here with examples of each sitting under their bench, any chance of profile pics side by side if no other data is known? 

As the Blackline/Ti/GTA type is nearly $100 a throw, to go buying stuff for the sake of inquiry is definitely making hard work of it.  If anyone's willing to help - no massive hurry - I'll be genuinely grateful.

Cheers!

105junior

I believe the front and rear top shock mounts are the same for every model, regardless of engine size, if you look on the Alfaworkshop site it shows the same part number for all models
72 GT 1600 junior with 2L transplant
73 spider Veloce
04 GT 3.2

Citroënbender

G'day, I did somewhat confusingly phrase my inquiry. Agree that all fronts are the same.

I browsed the "Porter Files", he lists the two rear versions separately and numbered as per the e-cats.  60679865 is the GTA/sports variant  (at an eye-watering £108 each including VAT), while the rest are offered 46791956 at somewhat less (48 squid a pop).

[As a general note (I'm not a knowledge hoarder) the cheapest supply of the "expensive" variant currently seems to be Carparts-Pros but you need to buy a few bobs' worth of kit to make the freight viable.]