Nolathane Bushes and components

Started by shane wescott, June 17, 2006, 09:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shane wescott

Hi Guys

Has anyone used these red nolathane suspension components for their 33.

While I have my front end in bits pulling the engine, I thought these might be of value for some improvement in handling etc.

They seem to have some good write ups on other cars, just wondering  if anyone has used them

catch ya

shane
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

a sharp

Shane
Back in the 80's quite a few quick racing Suds ran these bushes, and there where problems with lower front arm failures.  Nolathane is a great product for removing unwanted flex from bushes to improve handleing, but most over the counter bushes you will find make no accout for the fact that some flex in a given bush is required to stop undue strains being transfered to the arm or mountingit is installed in, this is the most common caues of failures from useing these bushes.  So all bushes need to be designed for the location they will be fitted in. Most of the over the counter bushes are listed as suitible for say a Sud lower front arm bushe only becuse at some piont Manufacturer had any enquiry about a bush of size X with a bore of Y for a Sud so supplied something they already made that fitted and added Sud to the listing for this part. The only person that I know of that makes Nolathane bushes for Alfas that have been engineered for there application to provied additional flex in only the directions required to stop undue strain being transfer to arms and mountings is Vin Sharp at PACE Engineering, All PACE's bushes have been bench tested in the arms and mounting they are desinged for to confrim they don't create undue strain on the arms and mounts, thats why some Pace bushes have slots and groves in them and should only be installed as directed. I don't know if Vin make any bushes for 900 series cars.

P.S Yes I am Vins brother Anthony   

Evan Bottcher

This definitely matches up with what I've read and been told - they are great for the rear suspension arms and the rear of the front trailing arm, but do NOT use them for the front lower arm, as the bushings are what allows the front lower arm most of it's travel.

Would love to hear Vin's opinion - and whether he's got any suitable replacements...

For further opinion or alternative suggestions - you might like to ask the question at the forum at http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/phpBB3/ - this forum is full of Alfa Boxerphiles and some with a lot of knowledge about how to go very fast.  Also the boxer forum at http://www.alfabb.com/ is quite good too.

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

shane wescott

Thanks for the info Guys. It's great to be able to learn from your experience.

catch ya

Shane
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL