Red Line 75W90NS, any success

Started by lombardi, March 04, 2017, 05:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lombardi

Red Line 75W90NS, have heard this stuff improves the dreaded 2nd gear crunch, anyone had success to validate ?
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

Colin Byrne

We use redline lightweight shockproof oil in both rally cars, expensive but I've been impressed with how long it lasts and the reduced wear on the syncro rings. As far as reducing the second gear crunch, unfortunately I don't think there is going to be a magic "pour in" fix, it's box out and replace the syncro rings (at a minimum). If you do, be sure to get the good quality rings, plenty of poor reproductions out there
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

gebe1

I can only agree with Colin. I used to have a slow synchro in Second gear, and tried the redline test. It didn't improve. I eventually pulled the box out and changed the synchro ring and while at it modified first gear to stop the standing still delay. The box is fabulous now. Still using redline, and box is super smooth.
73 Alfa Spider veloce
67 Alfa Guilia Super (past)
69 Alfa 1750 GTV (past)
74 Alfa Berlina 2000A (past)
77 Alfa GTV 2000 (past)

Craig_m67

Is it possible to flip the synchro ring from 5th to 2nd, as a quick fix**, in the Nord box?
(I've done this many times in Sud/Sprint boxes) 

** while you save up and consider all the parts/re build options.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Paul Byrne

Yes. You can also use the 'back' side of any ring in any position to get  a new 'major' surface. But with the box in bits why not replace at least the 2nd and 3rd rings with new, good brand, ones (at about $120ea) and change the two needle rollers for few dollars more. While you are there change the selector rod oils seals (stock bearing shop item) and the box rear and front seals. Box rebuild for $300! The only bearing I have needed to change (once) is the centre layshaft roller, and that is after years of punishing tarmac rally shifting. Just make sure to tighten, stake and loctite the layshaft end nut--they have a habit of unscrewing themselves.
74 GTV 2000 tarmac rally
75 Spider
EX 51 Jowett Jupiter

Balfa

I'm stocked up some Red Line 75W90NS for when I next get under the car. I was told you can use it for the diff as well?