Need help reblacking exterior trims.

Started by simmi1983, February 26, 2017, 07:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simmi1983

Hey guys,

After 3 years of blood sweat and tears my 75 is almost ready to hit the track.
After modifying almost everthing on the car its time to make her look pretty.
Does anyone know a good way to reblack the side trims that run the side of the car especially the foamy bit at the back and the spoiler?
I was looking at those armourall foam squares but wanna get some opinions first.
Will be sure to post a few photos of her when its done (first practice session is March 25th)

Cheers,

Luke

V AR 164

Yup would recommend a black trim restorer like armourall, turtle wax or mothers.

Should last a fair while and is easy to apply. If you want a more permanent solution, you could take off the trim and spray paint them semi gloss black but I think that would ruin the look.

If your wanting to get your inner fender liners back to black, a good trick is to 'spray paint' them with tyre shine. I usually do it before a car meet/show and really makes the wheels pop.

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

kaleuclint

Big fan of the Duragloss product:
https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/duragloss/rubber_bumper_and_flat_black_dressing
Silicone-free unlike Armorall.  But you need to apply it a few drops at a time, and then a few times over.  Worth the effort.

Andrew is right about tyre shine!  Apart from tyres it's even better for the 'honeycomb' grille under the 159 bumper, and I use it to re-blacken the inside of motorcycle fairings.

Also consider Plastidip for the trims.  I have peeling clearcoat that I'm going to attempt to resolve using this.  Cheap.  Reversible.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

jazig.k

" side trims that run the side of the car especially the foamy bit at the back and the spoiler?"

There's black bits on a 75? Where?
Everything to my knowledge is painted just like the car panels. Just cut, polish and protect.

V AR 164

Quote from: jazig.k on February 27, 2017, 09:28:21 AM

I believe he is talking about the black strip that runs below the windows from the front of the car to the rear and forms into the rear lip spoiler.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

jazig.k

Quote from: V AR 164 on February 27, 2017, 10:43:14 AM
Quote from: jazig.k on February 27, 2017, 09:28:21 AM

I believe he is talking about the black strip that runs below the windows from the front of the car to the rear and forms into the rear lip spoiler.

Yep, as I'm expecting him to say.
That's painted. Don't give it any plastic treatments. Treat it like paint on the panels [obviously careful of heat etc if machine polishing, because it's not metal like the bonnet, because they're a rubber-ish material and will react differently].

Cut, polish and protect.

simmi1983

Thanks for the tips. A bit confused as the pieces under the windows are plastic and they have faded in patches and look really smokey. Are you suggesting that I remove them and re-paint them? Or do you think hand polishing would bring them up ?
As for the spoiler-it is actually foam so I assume the armourall black sponges would work for that?

Thanks for your input guys!

Luke

jazig.k

The spoiler is foam, yeah, but they come painted unless you fitted a new-old-stock one. Then it would need painting. Please don't put anything on it... Particularly Armour All, since it will attract more dust than you can imagine and will never be able to clean it properly, let alone prep for paint.

Paint repair depends of the damage. I've seen some really bad ones where a repaint would be the only way, but they might just need a cut and polish. Hard to advise without seeing it.

It might be worth calling a detailer to talk about it, since they will have a good understanding of the damage you're dealing with and if it can be fixed without a respray.

I tried to find photos or a close up... but I can't so I'll just use photo's of my 75, which hopefully you can see the rear quarter strips and boot spoiler are grey and painted. I have never seen one in the raw foam/rubberish finish.

V AR 164

Sorry for going off topic, but OH MY GOD, your 75 is amazing jazig!

Just flicked through all your photbucket pictures and and have now got your car as my wallpaper hahaha.

Love the wheels with the white walls, really looks awesome! One question though, how do you avoid the wheels scrubbing the fender liners? My Q has the rear wheels tucking when someone is sitting in the back and they scrub over bumps and taking corners sharply.
I may have to stiffen the konis all the way up to avoid it  :(

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

jazig.k

;D Thanks Andrew!

PM me and I'll throw some ideas at you depending on where it's rubbing.

moar low moar camber!