Historic Group S - Licensing Requirements/Process

Started by Beatle, June 16, 2006, 12:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatle

Hi all,

Years ago I entered a few sprints which only required a CAMS Basic License.  I may soon be back in closer proximity to Alfas, Alfisti, and circuits.  You have all piqued my interest in Group S so to enter Gp-S competition what is the licensing:

1.   Process

2.   Timeline, and

3.   Cost (both initial and ongoing).

What about event entry fees etc etc.

many thanks

Paul 'Beatle' Bayly
Katherine NT
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Scott Farquharson

Hi Paul,

Have a read of the article on the home page - it gives an overview of the costs - if you have any other questions let me know.

Regards

Scott
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Beatle

Thanks Scott.

For a 3C license does one require X number of sprint events first ?  Do you get P plates ?  Is there a prerequisite racecrfat course ?

Surely you don't just front straight up for the observed test ?
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

Scott Farquharson

Quote from: Paul Bayly on June 16, 2006, 09:15:23 PM
Thanks Scott.

For a 3C license does one require X number of sprint events first ?  Do you get P plates ?  Is there a prerequisite racecrfat course ?

Surely you don't just front straight up for the observed test ?

There is no min requirement for sprint meetings or any other form of motorsport - In Vic John Bowes who conduct the OLT's ask that you either do one of their high performance courses or prove that you have had some track experience but this is not actually in the NCR's.  Doing sprint meetings though is essential before you go racing.  This will get you used to being on a track and going fast without worrying about other cars.

A C3 is actually now called a "Provisional Circuit" Licence which means you must have P plates.  Once you have done 5 races (and approved by the Clerk of Course at each meeting) over a 24 mth period and done 8 hrs of flagging at a race meeting you are then eligible for your C4 or National Circuit and can ditch the P plates.

Are you in the NT?  I am not sure what arrangements are in place there.  You may need to contact CAMS member hotline - see www.cams.com.au

Good luck!

Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Beatle

Thanks Scott,

Everything is different in the NT !!!  Hidden Valley is not CAMS sanctioned other than temporarily for the Supercar weekend.

No mind, I'm posted to Vic in January, hence the renewed interest.  Thanks for your reply.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

vin sharp

Hi Paul,
Glad to see you on here too.
When you get to Vic, join the Club. In fact, join up before you get here, get the magazine/newsletter to familiarise yourself with what's going on.
What car do you have for Gp S ?, I remember you having a GTV6 and a Spider I think.
Coming to Vic you'll miss the open speed limit I supose, but not the road trains and stray buffalo!
Cheers, Vin.

Evan Bottcher

Agreed - nice to see you on here Paul.  A familiar face from the AlfaBB.

Vin is wise - if you like you can join the club now and get the newsletter/magazine before you move.  The membership forms are here.

Did I read somewhere that you are going to be stationed in Gippsland?  Hope to see you at a club night anyway.

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Beatle

Thanks guys.

I will be joining up as soon as I get the transfer in writing  ;D.

I have, at various times, been an AROCA member of NSW (Newcastle)-coupla times, SA-coupla times, and QLD.

Vince, I sprinted a '76GT for a while and was lucky enough to run her around Amaroo at one of the last events before its demise  :'(.  I'm Alfaless at the moment but would probably look into a 116 coupe for GpS, there are a few for sale at present. 

If I only go sprinting, maybe even a 116 Giulietta as they seem incredible value second hand.  I've never had a Sud so there's another possibility. I built a car trailer a while back so I have to find something to cart around on it !!!!!!

I'm a complete amateur but I'd actually be quite interested in helping out a serious outfit, just for the experience.  I'll be looking into flagging at events as well.

Anyhoo, see you all when I get there.....I'm looking forward to getting back to 'civilisation' (read as CORNERS !!)
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd