Selespeed gear change problem

Started by Has.28, February 08, 2017, 09:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Has.28

Hey everyone,

I bought a 1999 alpha 156 selespeed about 2 months ago, recently been having some problems with it I'll explain briefly

So for the first 30 minutes or so driving it drives beautiful but then everytime I get to stop at a traffic light it goes into neutral and if I try to put it back into first it just jumps back to neutral, what I do is just hold the gear stick into first until I move of the other problem it does is sometimes when I'm in gear one and want to move to gear two it doesn't do a thing instead gear one flashes on my dashboard and to get it to change I have to gear up to third and then down to second the same problem happens sometimes between third and fourth

Can anyone point out what's wrong with my car, I really love this car it's an amazing vehicle
Thanks alot zack.

gtv19

Frustrating because they are so much fun when behaving themselves. My suggestion is to take it to a recognised Alfa service person for an accurate diagnosis.God luck. Laurie
current,
alfa 3.2gt (q2)
159 2.4 Diesel Ti sportwagon
147 twinspark manual
past

105 spider (modified)
alfetta gtv twin spark
156 Ti selespeed x2
1.8gt`s 3 of
Alfetta sedan (sprint car)
105 series spiders(2)

Mick A

It will most likely need an accumulator and maybe a selespeed pump too.

Mick.

psproule

Zack, best to start with plugging MultiECUscan in. It will have stashed a code or three. It could be a raft of different things but we need to work out if it is hydraulic pressure or position sensor related. Common things are pump relays, accumulator, pump armature brushes and the three position sensors. all are fairly easy to fix and if you know where to purchase, cheap too. And if yours is switching to neutral when sitting at the lights is sounds like it never got the early generation software update.

Pat