A huge thank you is due to many, many AROCA members....

Started by aggie57, February 07, 2017, 04:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aggie57

If last weekends Driver Training event was indeed the very last one for AROCA(Vic) then a HUGE thank you is due from the club, its members, and a considerable number of 'guests' to the many, many club members who had the foresight to start and to deliver these events over the years.

They are not a small undertaking, when this program first started in the 80's there was very little like it at any other clubs - CAMS included (in fact notably).  It basically had to be built from the ground up, modeled to some extent on Jim Murcott's school but necessarily modified to work for a purely voluntary organisation.  Not only did the course content need to be created, we had to figure out how to run the days, what resources where needed (and what we could get away without) and much, much more.  And that included lunches for everyone. 

We'd need to go back through the clubs archives to get this list sorted but people who immediately come to mind are Dino Kalivas, Victor Lee (of course!), Ian James, Glenn Gunther, Greg Quinn (most of you wouldn't know Glenn or Greg a.k.a. The Phantom), Bruce Rodgers, Ross Flood (one of the real survivors!), Barry Edmunds, Dave Crump, Marie Sharp and friends (for the endless rolls, fruit and water bottles), of course Neil Choi, and many many more.  Including by the way the late Mick Ronke of the Benalla Auto Club who despite what you may hear was a very strong supporter of these events and AROCA generally.

We really should do a retrospective in Cross & Serpent but I fear it would have to span several issues to do justice. 

There was a video posted the other day on this forum of Max K. interviewing people at PI.  We have some similar footage of various driver training events.  I'll see what I can find but if anyone has any of that please post it.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

blazingsud

Nigel Hyphen Donut
2010 159 2.4JTDm SW
74 sud  Blue Procida
76 sud L Silver
76 sud.L Coral Red,
78 Sprint 1.5 Red Twin carb
82 Alfasud Ti 1.5
83 Alfasud Ti 1.5
Porsche 928S4,Ducati 907ie x 2,Lambretta
Haflinger
past
79 Alfasud,Alfetta 2.0
76 Autodelta Alfetta GTAM
64 Guilia Sprint Gt "Patchwork"

aggie57

Quote from: blazingsud on October 07, 2017, 11:49:26 PM
Well said Alister, some lovely old memories had

Thanks Nigel. I do believe some memories involving your good self were captured on film....
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list