electrical connector puzzle

Started by cc, January 31, 2017, 12:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

This connector behind the lhs front headlight took a while to work out. To seperate the male and female plugs, theres a tab on the side that pulls out. See the female, open and closed1pics.

johnl

I haven't (yet) come across any connectors like that on my 147. Our other car is a Saab 95, and it does have lots and lots of connectors that are very similar.

Regards,
John.

poohbah

Hey CC, can you provide a simple blow by blow instruction on how best to remove and replace those b*****d parking light globes in the headlight assembly of a 156 for those of us who don't have triple jointed wrists, 12 inch fingers but hands the size of a five year old's? Blowed if I can work out how to do it.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

cc

hmm ive become a dab hand at removing the headlights now, so would probably do with headlight assembly out. The working on cars philosophy that works for me is have the right tools make the job as easy as possible. However! to take out the alternator  i removed the sub frame and the cars been off the road 5 months!!!
Theres only 2 nuts and a press stud holding the headlight in.. Will require the bumper removed tho...

poohbah

QuoteWill require the bumper removed tho..

Yeah - that's the problem. What a faff to change a globe that serves no real purpose. It's just so darn annoying seeing that little yellow "globe not working" warning light constantly glowing on the dash.

Must be some way to do it without removing half the front end and all the skin off my forearms!
            1981 GTV

bazzbazz

In the RAAF they are referred to "Sliding Latch Connectors" (god knows what Alfa Romeo calls them), same style is used on the large 24pin Selespeed connectors.

Poohpah - Easiest way I find to do the Parking bulbs is to use a set of Long Curved Forceps and a small mirror with built in light, allows you to grab the "Ear" of the bulb holder and rotate it out.

Sorry, I would find taking the bumper off to change a bulb waaaaay to much effort, but that's probably the lazy in me speaking.

Quote from: cc on January 31, 2017, 06:22:29 PMHowever! to take out the alternator  i removed the sub frame and the cars been off the road 5 months!!!

Just tell your missus that it's no longer a form of transport, but you've decided to turn it into a hobby project, It then entitles you to have it in as many bits for as long as you like, or until it's covered in so much dust you need a Saint Bernard and two Sherpa's to find it!    ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

cc

forceps sound good baz, could we see a pic of same?
cheers

poohbah

Great tip, thanks Baz. Will look for some Long Curved Forceps on the weekend.
            1981 GTV

bazzbazz

You can get them on eBay in all sizes and shapes.

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au