Potential 159 owner

Started by nicb205, January 29, 2017, 12:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicb205

Hi all. I'm seriously considering getting a 159 wagon.
This will be my first Alfa though in my youth my mum had a brown Sud.
I currently have a Renault Clio RS IV (staying) and a 7 seater Nissan dualis. Previously a Peugeot 205 GTI, 206, Laguna, TA22 Celica, and ... Leland marina.
My wife often takes my Clio so I'm looking at getting something sexier, sportier and better sounding than a 4 cylinder CVT in replacing the Nissan so at least there's no compromise on taking either car.
Nothing seems to compare to the 159 in terms of what I'm looking for.
I live in Adelaide. There's only one in Adelaide on car sales at the moment and it has a few too many Ks on the clock for my liking and not so keen on the dark red colour. Interstate purchase is an option.
I'd be really interested in buying from someone from the forum.
I have started reading through some of the posts on here and I hope to be a full fledged owner in next couple of months or so.
Cheers,
Nic

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

bazzbazz

Quote from: nicb205 on January 29, 2017, 12:30:38 PM
Previously a Peugeot 205 GTI,

These were awesome little cars, but they were NOTHING compared to the actual ads that Peugeot came up with for them. The ads were absolutely brilliant, hilarious, and a little "tongue in cheek".  ;D

Good luck on your search the 159 is a good solid car, with style.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

nicb205

Quote from: bazzbazz on January 29, 2017, 05:50:28 PM
Quote from: nicb205 on January 29, 2017, 12:30:38 PM
Previously a Peugeot 205 GTI,

These were awesome little cars, but they were NOTHING compared to the actual ads that Peugeot came up with for them. The ads were absolutely brilliant, hilarious, and a little "tongue in cheek".  ;D

Good luck on your search the 159 is a good solid car, with style.

Baz
Thanks Baz.
I remember the James Bond-esque ice chase ad. Brilliant!

kaleuclint

So close to buying a 205GTi in the mid-'90s, but it was already too old to lease and I really wanted a Ser. II.  Then looked at getting a new 206GTi (S16) in France but not the same thing at all.

A 159 wagon might take some interstate searching.  There are quite a few around Melbourne though.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

nicb205

Quote from: kaleuclint on January 29, 2017, 06:07:23 PM
So close to buying a 205GTi in the mid-'90s, but it was already too old to lease and I really wanted a Ser. II.  Then looked at getting a new 206GTi (S16) in France but not the same thing at all.

A 159 wagon might take some interstate searching.  There are quite a few around Melbourne though.
Thanks. It was a sweet car.
I've never bought interstate before but willinf to give it a try.

kaleuclint

And remember, there are people around here (and ausalfa.com) who if you ask nicely might check out a potential interstate purchase for you. ;)
2011 159ti 1750TBi

nicb205

Quote from: kaleuclint on January 30, 2017, 03:27:31 PM
And remember, there are people around here (and ausalfa.com) who if you ask nicely might check out a potential interstate purchase for you. ;)
That would be most awesome!

nicb205

Having troubles registering with ausalfa but have emailed the admin.
Investigating a bit further it looks like most (all?) of the later 159s are diesels. I watched some YouTube videos of the JTDM V5 and it just seems a bit too diesely for me but I'm not sure if that was because the videos were showing a cold start. Did it get any better warmed up? That 400nm torque seems pretty tempting.
The petrol ones seem harder to come by. There's a 2.2 JT'S here in Adelaide which I might take a look at. In the ad on carsales it says it's an auto but I swear it looks like a manual in the photo. My wife never learnt to drive a manual.
Check out this Alfa Romeo 159.
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Alfa-Romeo-159-2008/SSE-AD-4520045

Then there's a V6 in Melbourne which does look very tidy but still $19k for 124k or so on the clock.
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Alfa-Romeo-159-2009/SSE-AD-4115999

Neil Choi

Quote from: nicb205 on February 01, 2017, 09:14:04 AM
There's a 2.2 JT'S here in Adelaide which I might take a look at. In the ad on carsales it says it's an auto but I swear it looks like a manual in the photo. My wife never learnt to drive a manual.

It is coffee time, so I had to have a look.  It has only two pedals.

nicb205

Quote from: Neil Choi on February 01, 2017, 09:49:28 AM
Quote from: nicb205 on February 01, 2017, 09:14:04 AM
There's a 2.2 JT'S here in Adelaide which I might take a look at. In the ad on carsales it says it's an auto but I swear it looks like a manual in the photo. My wife never learnt to drive a manual.

It is coffee time, so I had to have a look.  It has only two pedals.
Good sleuthing. Think I'll go take a look at that one

nicb205

Bah. Seller serviced it himself.
No thank you

bazzbazz

Hey, I service mine myself.  ;)

But then, we may be talking different experience levels.   8)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

SusSelesp

I have a 2.2 JTS 159 Wagon and it's been great so far - selespeed seems to behave well so far - good luck with the search and yes petrol examples are very hard to come by - perhaps few were sold originally. I'm sure a great example will pop up but be quick if it does!!

nicb205

Quote from: ALCMQ on February 02, 2017, 07:31:46 PM
I have a 2.2 JTS 159 Wagon and it's been great so far - selespeed seems to behave well so far - good luck with the search and yes petrol examples are very hard to come by - perhaps few were sold originally. I'm sure a great example will pop up but be quick if it does!!
The petrol does appeal to me but I'm going to take a look at a diesel this weekend to hear what it's like in the flesh

bazzbazz

Ahhhh, it's a diesel, it's gonna sound like a diesel, a very nice diesel, but still a diesel.

So if you're hoping for a sweet exhaust note . . . . oh you are going to be soooo disappointed!    :o

;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast