Can an Alfa stand up to 850-1100 Km's of use every week?

Started by Aldo101, January 27, 2017, 08:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aldo101

I have a question to all of the Alfa Romeo owners. I am looking at purchasing my first Alfa Romeo as a daily drive. Note, that I average 850-1100 kilometers per week just getting to & from work. As I travel between Toowoomba & Ipswich 4-5 days every week. The car I'm looking is a 2008 159 2.4 diesel with 111731 km's. My question is, that given regular maintenance would the car stand up to this sort of use? If so, would it last for the next 3-5 years? If this car won't handle the use, I would be happy to hear of other Alfa Romeo's that may be up to the task.
Regards
Brian Alderton

Darryl

So that's around 50000km/year making your 5 year target a car that will have done over 350000km from new. So no, it wouldn't (not economically/practically) imho. But that's not a statement about Alfa 159s/alfa 2.4 diesels - not sure anything else will hold up well over that period either.

The 3 year target is more realistic though. And the diesel should appreciate the longer runs over being used in city stop/start short trips. The diesel tech is same as the rest of the modern common rail particulate filter equipped european stuff (take that as a positive or negative, just saying you won't do better by picking some other brand).

The chassis is solid.

Suspension holds up much better than the earlier 156/147/GT/166.

You WILL have far more hassles getting normal maintenance parts than if it were a falcomray but the good news is that in uk/europe the diesel fwd are more common than the V6 petrol AWD so aftermarket parts supply holding up okish if you (or a local workshop) know where to look.

If you haven't already try ausalfa.com for some more local owners.

As always (I should listen to my own advice) it is all dependent on the individual vehicle / owner / service history etc.

If you really want an Alfa that will run forever buy a 4 cylinder 116 series and remember to change the transaxle oil (and learn to rev match on downshifts into second)  ;D

kaleuclint

For that kind of usage Brian and the associated maintenance costs I reckon I'd be looking to Japan, or at a Falcon.  Easy for me to say having an Alfa as a second car, but I reckon the joy of ownership would be seriously diminished using one that way.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Colin Edwards

Hello Aldo,
In one word - yes! 
Given the 159 you're looking at is realitively low k's, as long as its has been properly maintained you should be starting in a good place.  A fully documented service history is a must.  Apart from regular service, the lubricants used must be fit for purpose.  Turbos are very sensitive to oil condition.

Is it a one owner car?  Prior to purchase have it checked out by someone with the most Alfa experiance you can find.  Their are one or two "tweeks" to do to bring out the best in the diesel.

After purchase change EVERY fluid in the car - including coolant, brake and power steering fluid.  Then change the engine oil and filter twice as often as recommended in the owners manual.
If you plan on doing that many k's on a weekly basis the car needs to be driven and maintained accordingly.  Do the maintenace yourself or have someone do it you trust 100%.
Also get a GOOD wheel alignment asap so you can get the best life out of the tires - and rotate regularly!
Given it looks like you'll be doing mainly highway k's, the oil burner will be happy!
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

GTVeloce

Of course it can be done. It does also depend on the type of km's done and your driving style. I commute 1250km to work every week in a 1989 Alfa 75 TS however, that is country km's and I maintain the car myself which keeps the cost down. And the TS engine is bullet proof. That said, the car has already done over 350,000km and is still going strong, except for a recent miss which I am grappling with..

Bear157

I drive about half that in a 2013 Giulietta QV every week and it never misses a beat. It's a pain keeping up with services though. I'll be honest and say that I have only been doing it for just over 6 months though, and agree that it kinda takes the fun away from when I drive it on the weekend. I'm seriously looking at a boring old Hybrid Lexus or something next time I get a car for home-work travel. Then the buzz will still be there for the new Giulia QV (sorry, my dreams just overtook reality then lol).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk