No power to stereo, climate control and central locking

Started by lukegee, January 24, 2017, 06:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukegee

Hi everyone

I  have a bit of an odd situation after fitting a new head-unit on a 156 2.0 JTS
After having a new Sony unit working I unplugged to fit in the correct fascia which I was waiting to arrive in the post. Basically I have a situation now where there is no power to the stereo whether trying the new or original unit, no power to the climate control dials and menu and the remote central locking doesn't work. Anybody seen anything like this before or got any clues?

Cheers
luke

poohbah

Did you forget to disconnect battery before changing head unit? So did I on my first 156. In the process, one of stereo wires shorted out the clock, trip computer, temp and fuel gauges. Ended up having to replace the underdash fusebox. So much for saving money on DIY stereo upgrade.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bazzbazz

All I can suggest is check all your fuses and connections to everything in that area behind the stereo and the A/C controls.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

lukegee

Whoops. That's what I did!! And with the same problems you mentioned. You had to replace the whole fusebox??

Quote from: poohbah on January 24, 2017, 11:30:26 PM
Did you forget to disconnect battery before changing head unit? So did I on my first 156. In the process, one of stereo wires shorted out the clock, trip computer, temp and fuel gauges. Ended up having to replace the underdash fusebox. So much for saving money on DIY stereo upgrade.

poohbah

Unfortunately yes. The whole fusebox was shorted out. Doesn't mean yours will be too, but its possible. Cost a couple of hundred bucks from memory. Like I said, so much for saving on the DIY stereo upgrade...
            1981 GTV

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

lukegee

Problem solved it was simply fuse 12 under the dash had blown. Should have just checked them all in the first place as opposed to looking in the manual for the likely fuse(s).

Cheers folks.

poohbah

And remember, always disconnect the battery when doing anything to anything that is wired up ...
            1981 GTV