GTV window winder cable

Started by poohbah, January 21, 2017, 10:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

Anyone know correct length of the steel cable for the front window winding mechanism of a 81 GTV? And whether I can just use any old cable from Bunnings, or should I source an Alfa replacement?

B*****d on driver's door snapped today.

And anyone know of a diagram/instructions showing how it all correctly goes together? I've done it before, but it never went down as far as it should. Would like to get it right this time.

The photo and explanation in Haynes isn't really all that helpful.

Mine has white plastic winder hub, held on by 4 screws, not rivets.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

poohbah

Thanks Sportiva. Already spent 3 hours swearing yesterday, trying to refit it with the slightly shorter broken cable.
            1981 GTV

poohbah

Well, I managed to refit the broken cable... for now. (2 hours, much swearing). But the cable is a little bit shorter, so still not able roll it down as far as I'd like. But at least I can close it fully now, and will do til I get a replacement cable. Think I'll replace the two pulley wheels too - they are knackered.

And I finally worked out why the electric mirror wasn't working - it had been disconnected in the door. Plugged back in and works fine.
            1981 GTV

martym00se72

That is the most swear-worthy job I have encountered to date on these cars... I didn't have instructions at the time either so nutted it out myself but required multiple attempts to get it right. I used Bunnings sourced cable - works fine.
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

poohbah

Cheers Marty, I will grab some from Bunnings on weekend, hopefully some pulleys too. I also added am extra tensioner of my own between the bottom pulley and the winder hub to take up some slack - there was a handily placed hole, helps keep the cable on the bottom pulley which is really on its last legs.

It sure is a swear worthy exercise. I must have fitted and refitted the hub at least 20 times before getting to the "near enough is good enough" point!
            1981 GTV

peter.b

This is a great resource - thank you. I'll be reattempting to fit the passenger side cable a full 2 months after having last attempted it.

I really don't wanna.

poohbah

QuoteI really don't wanna

You and me both Peter!
            1981 GTV