156 RHS rear door window stuck half way

Started by ACE, January 21, 2017, 05:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACE

Advice appreciated ...

The right hand side, rear door, window is stuck half way down - I.e. Window is half open.
At first it seemed able to move down freely, but not up. Now it's got half way down, it won't move at all, using the control in its own door or the one in the driver's door.
The other three windows still operate - up and down. But just atm, I'm not tempting fate by taking any of them ALL the way down :-(

When grabbing the window with hands, it seems free enough to move a little bit sideways but not at all up of down. So I can't drag it up manually either.

Is there a safety switch that might be telling it there is something in the way? If so how do you reset it?

I'm about to walk around the car three times in an anticlockwise direction and then restart the car before trying the window again ;-)

poohbah

Switches can often be the cause, and a quick fix. But if it is your RHS motor on the fritz, sorry - that is more likely to be expensive.

Have you tried putting a little inwards and upwards pressure on the window with palm of your hand while pressing the button?

Mine would occasionally get stuck, and that would work. Also found that the switch itself to be a bit temperamental - would start working again via a varied combination of holding at the up/or down extent of travel, or pushing/pulling it slightly to the left or right instead of in straight line.

Also try cleaning the switches (metal contacts) - they can be removed pretty simply.

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

ACE

Thanks PB,
Yes, tried pressure while twiddling switch, but no effect.
Just found it has its "own" fuse, so checking that first - but of course it's not one of the easy ones to get too! Doesn't explain why it would go down but not up though ... Then, to start gradual dissassembly ... :-(

poohbah

If its going down, would seem to indicate its not the motor at least. This is pretty obvious I know, but I also presume you have tried it from drivers door button too, and that the window locking button is not on?

When you press the door switch, can you hear the motor working and is it making a straining noise, while you have switch in up position, like its trying to go up?

If so, maybe something has fallen into the window track (or motor mechanism) which is blocking/jamming it.

If its already stuck half open, I'd try putting it all the way down and see if that frees it up - you won't really be any worse off.
            1981 GTV

bazzbazz

Its either -

A/ Dodgy switch control - already been discussed

B/ The Window Regulator Motor is corroded - unfortunately where the motor is positioned, is directly under the point where any water that may get past the window seals falls.

C/ Window regulator cable has failed/come adrift/jammed

In reference to C, heard any unusual noises come from rear window/door lately?

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

ACE

PB & Baz,

This afternoon went to open the front window got the rear by mistake. D'oh!
All good, closed it (or thought I had) and used driver window as intended.
Went shopping. Shock and horror. On Return, rear window was open - assumed break in, but no.
Tried to put window up, it would not move up, But it would go further down.
Now it won't go either direction.
Tried both switches too.

The window does not feel "tight" I.e. Nothing is blocking as far as I can see/feel yet.

What was it like prior? It seemed "normal" and no untoward noises.
But this is SWMBO's car, so I don't drive it often either :-(

Can I hear the window motor? No not a sound. Just the click of the switch. But I think I can hear a relay (may be the motor) in the door when button in the driver's door is pressed for down. Nothing when attempting to go up. Nothing when the rear switch is used.
And no rattly sounds recently in the door that I am aware of or have been told of ...

btw all the fuses appear sound too. Though the pattern of fuses in the box seems to be a mirror of the diagram in the manual ... ? But that's a problem for another day.

I'm kinda hopin its a dud switch ... still not easy to replace on a Sunday though. And of course, She needs it for work on Monday !!!

Thanks guys, happy to hear more ideas suggestions if there are any ...

poohbah

Dunno now - maybe jiggle the wires going into the door!

Of if you are feeling adventurous, try a little exploratory surgery by carefully (ie without breaking the little plastic studs) removing the inner door panel to have a look inside.
            1981 GTV

V AR 164

Already been said, but the switch would be the first thing I would check. Try and take a switch from a functioning window and swap it out for the window switch that doesn't work. They should have the same connectors.

I doubt it would be the motor because the window wound down and suddenly stopped with no noise. Generally you would hear a grinding or scraping noise.

Andrew
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

ACE

OK, it now closes!

There were two issues, now only one though.

1. Yes PB, the saftey lock was on!
And there were no children available to show me a work around.

2. The switch in the driver's door IS dodgy.
Works for down but not for up.

3. Yes there was a 3 too.
"Half way down" was actually "fully down"! Told you I don't drive it often - enough.

So after attending to issue 1, I can use the rear switch to close the window!

The fuses are still a puzzle though, but might leave that well alone ;-)

Thank you again!

How embarrassing!

bazzbazz

I swear, I was going to ask if you did realise that the rear windows only go 1/2 way down because of the rear wheel guards, but thought . . . .nah . . .surely . . . . .

But I won't lie, anti child switch never came across my mind.   ::)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

poohbah

1981 GTV

105greg

Hilarious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk