156 2.5 v6 starting issue

Started by supervanawesome, January 13, 2017, 06:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supervanawesome

Hey guys. I have a 2001 156 v6 and I've a weird starting issue. It takes 3 or 4 attempts to start. The first 2 attempts it just turns over with no sign of starting. The 3rd attempt it turns over and gives a small backfire. The 4tth attempt it starts straight away as it should. Once it starts it runs and drives as it should but once I turn it off it wont start again straight away unless i restart within 5 seconds. It doesn't matter whether the engine is hot or cold. The key code light is going off as it should. I checked and rotated all injection relays. No air leaks in intake system. I suspected a faulty cam or crank sensor but doesnt quite add up with the symptoms. I disconnected the fuel line and turned on the ignition and there seems to be strong fuel flow but maybe its low on pressure when connected so thinking it could be a faulty fuel pump. Anyone ideas? My gut is telling me its a faulty fuel pump or pressure regulator

bazzbazz

Has it been serviced recently or had any work done on it? 

The reason I ask is it could also be a loosely connected or bad earth. Check the main earth lead off the battery and to where it connects to the chassis and also the earth leads to the gearbox and engine block.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

poohbah

Purely as a precautionary measure, check fuel rail and injectors to make sure there is no leak, or loose connections. Baz knows why I make this suggestion.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

V AR 164

Before you try to start it, spray some 'start ya bastard' in the intake. If it turns over first try, you know it's a fuel issue. I'd check and replace the fuel filter and inspect the fuel lines thoroughly for blockages or leaks. If problem still persists, it would be a fuel pump.

If start ya bastard doesn't work, it would probably be ignition related. Check plugs, leads, coil etc.

Yup, best to check for leaks first, just in case. We don't want another smokey light show  ???

Edit: Also, is it an ongoing issue or has it just started recently? Could also be bad fuel.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

supervanawesome

No work done recently. I've double checked all connectors and earths from battery to gearbox/body. Doesnt make a difference if i spray start fluid into intake. I replaced fuel pump and no difference. No leaks in fuel lines or in engine bay. If there was a blockage in fuel line or bad spark plugs I figure it would run rough once started. It drives perfectly once started. When it starts it bangs into life as it should. I'm thinking now that it must be cam or crank sensor but strange as it happens regardless of engine temperature and sometimes starts first time. I wish i knew how to quit alfas!

bazzbazz

When was the last time you had a "Throttle Reset" done?

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

supervanawesome

I just did a throttle reset and still no difference. Drives a bit smoother but still has the starting issue.

bazzbazz

Do you own any of the Diagnostic suites, MultiEcuScan or AlfaOBD? Without running a diagnostic your can just be plucking at straws for god knows how long. They are not expensive, will work on almost any windows laptop and the OBD port adapters are as cheap as chips. AlfaOBD will even work on Android.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Jess159

Exact same thing happening here, I am going to have it looked at this week.
Taking 2 or 3 attempts to start. Sometimes if you spray some air intake cleaner through the throttle body it fires up first time for the next few starts but then same thing again.
Do you have any update so far? Seems like a coincidence we're both having this issue, do you daily drive yours?

Jess159

Had a new fuel pump fitted. Seems the old one was not holding pressure for long enough after the engine had been switched off.
Might be worth looking into for your situation too.