3.2 GT alternator

Started by 105junior, January 02, 2017, 08:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

105junior

Hi guys just trying to get ready for alternator failure on my GT as I've just about replaced every thing else that goes wrong with this cars my thinking is the alternator will be next, I'd like to have one in hand for when it happens, so my question is where's the best place to get one from?

Cheers.
72 GT 1600 junior with 2L transplant
73 spider Veloce
04 GT 3.2

Sailor209

Well you could try Alfa and get stung $1425.00....Yep that's correct!!
Or Franks Pitsop in Summer Hill NSW 97997688 for a genuine one at a substantial discount.
2010 100th Anniv GT 3.2
2005 Mazda MX5 Cosworth supercharged

shiny_car

Maybe just get a voltage regulator, which seems the weak spot.

Much of the cost of replacement is the labour to access the alternator!

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

105junior

I managed to find a new oem one on eBay for $600, I also found a supplier of aftermarket alternators here in Canberra, Cooldrive, they claimed to have an aftermarket replacement for$320 which I purchased but it didn't fit, it looked 99.9 % identical to the original but there was a part of it that was slightly different.
73 spider Veloce
04 GT 3.2

bazzbazz

I would suggest just returning it, even if only for a partial refund. If it's not the correct item it may not have the higher rated Regulator and you will be having all sorts of electrical gremlins down the road if so.

I have client right now that has a sick 156 2.5 because the incorrect alternator was fitted. (And NO, I wasn't the one who fitted it)   ::)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

105junior

I did return it and got a full refund, and because the car was up in the air without its alternator I had to act quickly so eBay to came to the rescue, from what I can remember because this was over a year ago it might have been possible to modify the aftermarket alternator but it would have taken a fair bit of mucking around, the upon inspection of the failed alternator I had a couple of burned diodes
73 spider Veloce
04 GT 3.2