Alfa 33 suspension problems

Started by ANT_GTV6, December 30, 2016, 06:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANT_GTV6

Today I pulled the drivers side front strut off my 33 as the car had been unbearable over bumps and I wanted to have a closer look. The strut had quite a bit of oil on it and the boot was split. I could not undo the top nut to undo the top mount to check if it was an original Boge or it had an insert fitted. Does anyone have any tips on getting the top mount off or maybe just some more muscles.

Over time I have made numerous enquiries with a number of Alfa parts suppliers in Australia about the front struts for the Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 16v but they are quite a rarity it seems. Would anyone have any half decent second hand or NOS front struts? Mine is a 1991 model with the 4 bolts on the strut tower.

hammer

Ant,

Hope you are well mate. Are you still up in Bundy?

Here's a link to an overseas site that appears to have the shocks you need. Seems you only need to make a minor adjustment (which they offer to do for you) to make these fit the four nut mounts.

https://alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1487

I've bought 33 16v gasket kits from these guys.

Cheers,

Brent

ANT_GTV6

Hi Brent,

Yes going well. No was in Yeppoon now Biloela. How have you been? Still racing?

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like that will solve my problem. Ill let you know how they go.

Cheers,

Anthony

philpot

Hi Anthony, I have a pair of Monroe 33 16V front stuts spare. I bought them from a place in the uk after my OE right front got so stiff and harsh to be unbearable. Like yours think had leaked all oil out. Had them on for a few months before realising the front springs had sagged and gone so soft they were the biggest problem of all! Even though had changed them a couple of years earlier for ones off spare parts donor car that had only approx. 80k on it ... Bouncy front end syndrome! I finally bit the bullet and got H&R spring set and Koni Yellow inserts for my 16V about a year and half ago, and haven't regretted it. Bought them from shopalfisti.com / Squadra Sportiva in Germany. They still list both for the 16V. Front ride height is about the same as with, sagged, old OE springs, or just a tad lower, but rear now matches front height better. 16V front springs, OE ones, are rubbish! Compared photo's of car when I bought it to just before got new springs/shocks and front had dropped about an inch or more ....  The top of the shock piston rod on the 16V version strut is smaller diameter than the other 33's, it fits into a totally different top bush that has a bearing in it, not just solid rubber like my '85 33. Changing all the front suspension arm bushes also makes a big difference to reduce front end harshness. They're readily available, got mine from Italian Automotive Spares in Melbourne. On a slightly different tack, have removed the entire a/c system, all bar the condensor in the heater box. That took out almost 20kg of weight. Most of which is at the very front and top of the engine! That made a huge difference in reducing the 16V 'front end bounce' syndrome!! ...  Cheers, Phil

nb:  if strut has insert there'll be a big headed bolt at base of strut tube.
1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

Past:   '81 Alfasud ti      '76 Alfasud ti

ANT_GTV6

Hi Phil PM sent,

Thanks for the advice. It gives me a few options and hopefully anyone else is the same dilemma. It makes sense while it's apart to redo the bushes etc. With the front end bushes did you just stick with rubber? My aircon doesn't work either but it's on my to do list to repair as it's a little hot up this way some days. My strut doesn't have the bolt at the base so still the originals possibly.

Regards,

Anthony

philpot

Hi Anthony,

Yes, stuck with rubber. OE replacements. IMO, the car does not need to be any firmer or harsher of ride than it is! Compliance of the, new, rubber is a good thing unless the roads around your parts are all freeway smooth ... which they are definitely NOT around here !  Tried poly in my Sud's lower front arms when it was my daily drive, soon went back to rubber, the bush at the front crossmember/front arm levers up and down as well as dealing with for/aft and lateral forces. The levering forces and poly in this mount in Suds/33's is not a good thing ... for the arms or the mounting points.

Spent a fortune getting the A/c operational, near 1k, when I first bought the 16V in 2010, but even when all gassed up and as optimal as it could be, is was still very poor .... it only operated out of the central vents also. It was factory fit too. Got jack of it when it lost it's gas, and went for lighter front end weight, and better handling over an a/c that was only really good for demisting ... and this is in a mild climate down south!

Cheers, Phil.
1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

ANT_GTV6

Thanks Phil rubber it is, I was swinging that way. Oh wow the aircon is that poor. I thought the GTV6 had terrible aircon especially with all the glass and that was in Toowoomba. It will have no chance up here. Looks like windows down and sunroof open might be the option. There is only one set of lights in town so if I avoid them I will have constant airflow.

Cheers,

Anthony

hammer

Anthony,

Sounds like you have it well sorted. You'd look like a flash harry getting around Billo in an Alfa!

I didn't race much last year and will do very little in 2017, as I'll likely be busy in the lead up to the state election. 2018 will have to be the year of #75 at the track. I built up a nice 16v 1.7 litre Alfasud Sprint racer to compete with the Veloce racing crew. I only had the opportunity to race it a few times though, before selling it to a buyer in Adelaide. It's amazing how well a 16v goes with only 800kg to push around!

Have a great year mate. Cheers,

Brent

ANT_GTV6

Yes Brent it definitely stands out. I've only seen a new Giulietta up this way. (On a side note I spotted a 105 GT/GTV in a farm shed about 40 kms out of town. I may have to drop in when I get a chance.)

Good luck with the election and hopefully we will meet again at the track or club event one day. Even my 16v has a bit of go as standard when I get the chance to push it so I can imagine only 800kg.

Enjoy the new year

Cheers,

Anthony

barts

Hi Ant and Brett,

Good to hear you guys still loving the Alfas. I am back in Qld (Brisbane) but currently in between Alfas. Sold my GTV6 to Cam at Automotion a while back... Miss the car but couldn't store it and had no time to use it. I still check the classifieds or car sales everyday in case something special pops up but probably need to wait another couple of years until I have the time and garage space.

I'll have to take a run out to the track one day to watch and get inspired.

Take care

Dan

hammer

Dan,

Great to hear from you man! Are you still in the army?

Your old GTV6 is now owned by John Coleman, of Byron Bay. John repainted it and drives it like the devil. The car makes regular appearances at Morgan Park and QR.

Good luck with the Alfa hunt.

Cheers,

Brent

barts

Hi Brent, yes still in green. I'll keep an eye out and hope to see you at the track one day.

Dan

ANT_GTV6

Good to hear from you Dan. Hopefully see you in an Alfa again and at the track one day.

Anthony

philpot

Hi Ant,

Found the struts!  PM sent, here are some pics.

Just got some parts from the Greek Alfa place, he had anti-roll bar bushes, gearlever rubber boot and of all things a bonnet stay clip!  Thanassis was good to deal with, very helpful.

Cheers, Phil

philpot

Hi Ant,

Further to the question of Koni's, or not, these describe the traits of Koni top and bottom mounts:

Phil