Sud Engine Lowering

Started by Trikes, October 22, 2016, 09:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trikes

Hi Guys.
I've read in a few places they lower the Engines to aid handling - makes sense.
With the engine drama I've suffered (Sud racer no start) I noticed there were a couple of blocks that sat on top of the K Member. While the notes I've read all have Blocks 38mm thick while mine are 20mm thick.
Should I just take it as gospel 38mm is the optimum thickness?
The other thing is while my K-Member is 20mm lower the Rear Gearbox Mount is still at std height. Shouldn't the Gearbox rear end match front of the engine height?

Sportscar Nut

Lowering the engine by 38mm locates the lower control arms horizontal to the road hence reducing torque steer and was the standard Sud Trofeo mod. The gearbox rear mount moves freely but the top engine mount needs to be lengthened.

Transforms the cars handling but also suggest nolathane top strut bushes to sharpen the steering and a set of Koni Sport with the bump stiffened by 20%.

Paul

Trikes

Paul, I know you said the rear GB Mount floats around free but I disagree. In fact I believe it's a mistake to have it floating around. Although this is my first Sud I reckon it's wrong to let it float / move around. So I made a new rear Poly Mount today. Also lowered the rear about 20mm. Should get rid of the vague feeling. If it doesn't work I'll dig it all out and buy a new Rubber Mount but I doubt it.

Sportscar Nut

Trikes, all the Boxer engine Alfas had rear GB mounts floating so you will have to disagree with the factory engineers! The engine & gearbox move a lot under acceleration and rear GB mounts are designed to have the freeplay to work with the engine mounts. For the 'vague' feeling' in the rear, check your shockers as rest of the rear does not typically wear nor much load/ stress.

Trikes

The vague feeling in the rear I refer to is in the Sud Shifter. After Hill Climbing a highly modded Proton Satria GTi which I fitted the Shifter with Roller Bearings instead of plastic type Bushings, that transformed the Short Shifter then jumping into the Sud I was horrified at the Alfa Shift. It felt like moving my hand around in a bucket of water lol.