Alfasud exhaust

Started by sudseeker, January 15, 2017, 11:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sudseeker

Hello
I am in the process of replacing the oil sump gasket on my Alfasud Super.But before I could remove the sump I had to remove some stainless steel pipework which fits around the sump.This pipework attaches to the exhaust manifold and there is a flexible hose attached to the pipework which goes to a canister located on the pax side of the engine bay.A hose goes from this canister to the carburettor?
Can someone tell me what this extra plumbing is there for ? The Haynes manual has a photo of the underside of the car and it does not show any of this pipework.

Thanks

Sportscar Nut

Sudseeker

Sounds like you have an aftermarket cold start fitting on your Sud. Were fitted by the factory for cold starting due to Europe but did not go around the sump - Alfa 'tried' to plumb the heat from the headers to the carby but most have been removed on Aust delivered cars. Suggest you keep on car for originality!

Cheers
Paul

philpot

Hi Paul,

Is your Sud a 1.5 single carby? Australian delivered? Hatch or 'bootlid' model? Year?

Why I ask is my (Aus delivered) '81 single carb 1.5 engine in my Sud originally had an Australian Design Rule Emission setup of a belt driven air pump which injects air into the exhaust ports. The separate air filter, bout the size of an oil filter, for the pump sat at the side of the inlet tube of the air cleaner. Pipe goes to pump, then flexy pipe goes to joiner/large nozzle at back LHS of engine, where metal tube pipe framework goes around sump with nozzles heading up into brackets off exhaust headers angled up into each intake port. Nozzles are blunt ended about the size of a stick of chalk and literally stick up into the heads!  Talk about block gas flow! There was a vacuum pipe to a canister on lhs of engine bay firewall to carby to switch a solenoid when on/off throttle. This set up was for the aussie market and is a real nasty, crude set up! Like was fitted to US cars with big displacement, and big pollution engines for ADR27a. The theory is unburnt nasty gasses are ignited by the injection of high pressure air into the exhaust ports. But an efficient engine like the sud's, doesn't make enough gasses for that to happen, so, they make them run richer to make it work. A lose, lose scenario...

I removed all that gumpf, put on an OE air cleaner (later or, earlier) that didn't have the separate pump filter canister on the air filter, and put on 'clean' OE exhaust extractors from a model (later or, earlier) that didn't have the welded on mounts for air nozzles. Aftermarket ones, if you can find them, are without these welded mounts. And I removed the small, spray can sized vacuum solenoid on the engine bay/firewall.

Twin carby 1.5's have nozzles on the headers, but the exhaust gas is flowed the other way under it's own pressure into pipes which attach to top of rectangular air cleaner lid.  Exhaust gas re-circulation.

Later single carb Suds, the hatchbacks like the five door super, had higher gearing, 36kmh/1000rpm in top, as opposed to 28.8 kmh/1000rpm in top of earlier single carbys, and got away with no air injection set up.  This was due to the Swiss government adopting similiar emission regs to Australia. Oh, 1186cc boxer engines post ADR27a/1976 mid, have the air injection pump filter on the inner guard in the engine bay...

Think that is what you're asking about?

Cheers, Phil
1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

Past:   '81 Alfasud ti      '76 Alfasud ti