Not an Alfa owner, yet..

Started by greasemeup, December 25, 2016, 08:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greasemeup

Things have changed-

I pulled the pin on the Vic one, great value but a lot of hassle.

Found a nice Green on here in Brisbane, it has more k's 125k but 1 owner before the mechanic bought it, it has a full  service history & he put new belts on the front & new tires. 3k with rego due in Feb. Should bring it home tomorrow :)

Thanks for all your advice fellas. I will post pictures and questions about lowering it soon [emoji855]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bazzbazz

Welcome aboard the Alfa World, as you will find, we're a strange lot, but that's half the fun, ain't it.   ;)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Thijsvr

poohbah

Congratulations mate, I'm sure it will be a fun ride. And good call to go local with full history.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

lombardi

Coming back to the timing belt change , there is evidence that actually on occasions its not the belt that fails but actually the tensioners fail as they have plastic ball bearings , wether this prob as been solved dont know , as far as cost , quotes can vary depending on who u ask , its gold if u have an honest mechanic that charges accordingly
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

greasemeup

OMG, didn't happen.

The internet photo dream didn't meet the eyeball reality.  I did take it for a little test drive and found the drive quite good. There seemed to be no mechanical issues, which was expected.
The paint had some deep scratches and a couple of small dents, which was all acceptable for the price, what let it down was the interior. A list of issues, top of the list was the passenger airbag cover that was propped but by no means secure in its opening, then the sunroof cover was simply not there, just the frame. The control for mirror adjustments was missing the knob. The door trim fabric was separating from the card. The central arm rest was broken and the cup holder was not staying in. The weirdest thing was some sort of gum build up on a lot of the small plastic trim, like someone had peeled off a cover.

That's OK, I have the patience to say no and keep an eye out for something acceptable.

Ho hum..

greasemeup

Quote from: bazzbazz on December 29, 2016, 07:32:59 PM
Welcome aboard the Alfa World, as you will find, we're a strange lot, but that's half the fun, ain't it.   ;)

Baz

Dude, I get it. I watched a colage of some weird sloth & model ads on YouTube the other day. Tripp much?

poohbah

Hang in there mate, plenty of 147s around for reasonable prices, so the right one will turn up eventually.

That said I really would also recommend you look at 156s, there are probably more of them available, and at good prices too (I bought my Series 1 V6 with red leather, lowered, and only 100,000km on clock for $3800 less than a year ago).

All the same things to look out for as the 147.

And if you do look at 156s, I really recommend you hang out for one that has the lowered suspension. Makes a massive difference to the way they look and handle. I am biased of course - I am onto my second 156 V6.
            1981 GTV

bazzbazz

Also the lower they are the more impressive the spectical when they burn to the ground . . . . .WHAT! . . . . . . . . . .

Too soon?    ;)   

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

bazzbazz

Quote from: greasemeup on December 30, 2016, 06:33:39 PM
The weirdest thing was some sort of gum build up on a lot of the small plastic trim, like someone had peeled off a cover.

No, that's a standard feature on most sun baked 156 & 147s, it's a rubber anti slip coating that just was never suited to the aussi environment.

I just clean it off and recoat with a couple of coats of satin black, good as new.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

poohbah

QuoteToo soon? 

Nah, I was even laughing before the fire engine arrived. It was either that or cry...

1981 GTV