2012 alfa 159 3.2

Started by fgv, December 05, 2016, 08:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fgv

20mm is significant! that can make the difference between hitting something under the car or avoiding it completely!
it's good that the undertrays can still be easily replaced though..

thanks again for all the info Colin, i'll keep it all in mind when i get my car! which still isn't appearing on the horizon, incidently.. lol

poohbah

As a comparison, both my 156s had/have factory lowered suspension (25mm). You do have to be a little careful when it comes to speed bumps and driving down ramps onto a flat surface but you quickly get used to it. Also need to watch out for high kerbing when parking head on (I generally reverse park as a rule, which removes any risk of scraping the bottom lip of the front spoiler.)
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

cc

Hi poohbah. My Monza is low at the front. Do you know which springs to use to bring the nose up to a standard 156 height? Im on my 3rd support frame that sits under he radiator!
cheers

poohbah

Wish I could help cc, I have no idea. Word of warning though. I've driven a couple of 156s with standard springs & shocks, and it was like riding in a boat. Way too much body roll for me. I also think they look a bit naff riding so high.

You could try a shock/ spring set up that is adjustable so you can reach a happy compromise. But that's probably not a cheap option!
            1981 GTV

fgv

poohbah, is there any reason you want the car to be so low - is it just a preference, or do you have a particular driving style, or have track days? i thought a standard 156 would handle really well already, without needing that much modification? it is nice to know that you get used to it though! i just hop over everything on my current car with its pretty good clearance!

poohbah

There is a hotrodder saying "the answer to attitude is altitude". Just means cars look better and meaner if they are lower. I think the 156 especially looks more purposeful with its chin just off the tarmac!

I'm not an overly aggressive driver, but I do like getting out in the country and giving it some welly, and the lowered setup does make a difference. I was really surprised how much more body roll, and general floatiness there was in the couple of 156s ive driven that had standard spring setups.

My 81 GTV is even lower to the ground, and really does require me to be paying attention to any uneven surfaces or speed humps and kerbs. You just get used to it.

Here's a pictorial explanation of why I prefer lowered suspension - my white '99 156 vs a '99 156 with stock ride height: Stock just looks a bit limp, to my eyes anyway!
            1981 GTV

kaleuclint

Amazing how quickly you build up a mental catalogue of bits of road to avoid with the Ti suspension.  New Street in Brighton up from the golf course, an exposed metal hatch that strikes the bottom of the car.  A tarmac 'undulation' in the left lane on Thomas Street around from Brighton Alfa.  Even the car park ramp at the local Coles.

It looks better maybe.  It handles better (probably not an issue 99 percent of the time).  But it's a pain to live with on an everyday car as well; a bit like having the 19" wheels.  I don't like SUVs but I see the attraction of not having things hitting under your car!
2011 159ti 1750TBi

poohbah

Not just stuff hitting under your car - you also have to take other quirks into consideration. If I need access to the underside of my Alfas, I can't drive either of them directly onto wheel ramps - I first have to hook up a make-shift ramp (eg a plank!) to get on the ramp ...

But at the end of the day, its not enough to put me off.
            1981 GTV

fgv

wow.. it does look very different although it's only a few cms.. it is very noticeable.
i think the 159 doesn't really need to look 'lower' since its a fairly big car.. but as we discussed earlier - i may not have much of a choice depending on what comes up in the second hand market haha.

i do think to myself how a lower suspension cars would go on those car park ramps. i'm cautious with them even on my normal height old car.

a ferrari was beside my car at the petrol station yesterday - there's barely any clearance on those things.. how do they navigate the car park ramps? (maybe supercar owners don't shop at coles lol)

kaleuclint

There a lots of supercars around my place.  Nobody takes them to the shops!  You might not pick that the guy in the Holden crew cab has a Lambo, two Ferraris, two Mercedes, a Lotus, F1 and F3 race cars...  Not kidding,
2011 159ti 1750TBi

fgv

i guess you can't fit a lot of groceries in the supercar either.. another thing is they seem to make a lot of noise too; its like they drown out the other vehicles with their engine sounds. must be part of the experience or something..

kaleuclint

Well, yes.  You get that around here too.  Any sunny Saturday morning some of the supercar owners DO take their Ferraris along Church Street.  Here's the thing though -- for all the "look at me" noise and throttle blipping they travel no faster then a Cinquecento.

My mate with the Lambo / Ferraris, F1 racer, etc?  No, he'd never be seen there.  Possibly the difference between a 'car guy' and being a rich git with a toy.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Thijsvr

Quote from: poohbah on December 06, 2016, 03:48:37 PM
its not red or white, and it is a sportwagon but just spotted this Q4 Ti on carsales.
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Alfa-Romeo-159-2009/SSE-AD-4115999/?Cr=1

Looks like there are also a couple of Q4 sedans for sale - but all around the 08/09 MY.

Do you know if this was a manual? I'm looking for a 3.2 Q4 SW but I want a manual and I have yet to see one of those for sale.

poohbah

Too long ago to remember. But probably not.
            1981 GTV

GTA539

There's a black 159ti SW manual for sale in NSW at for 38k?!

With regards to 159ti clearance, I have a 159ti V6SW and I do have to slow down for speed bumps as everyone does but it's not that bad as long as you're not flying over them!
Alfa Romeo 159ti 3.2V6 SW