Some people...

Started by V AR 164, November 15, 2016, 05:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

Hey guys, warning you that this is pretty much a hate post. Not specifically relating to Alfas, but I wanted to share my experience tonight.

Ok, so someone obviously didn't like me parking my cars on the road, even though they were out of harms way and not effecting anyone. Tonight I go out to see a council infringement notice saying that my cars need to be moved within 3 days or else they will be impounded. To be fair, they are not registered, something I will admit. But I think it is a bit much to report me to the council and to take drastic action. I personally think that there are larger crimes than parking your car on the street, but anyway.

I wanted to resolve the issue so I go outside to move the cars off the street. I first move the silver car into the driveway, no issues at all. I then go to move the red car, and that's when I realised people can really be a piece of work. So I go to drive forward and immediately I feel something wrong. My dad yells at me to stop immediately as he was overlooking what I was doing. In short, I am very lucky I didn't break the whole front hub and suspension components. Someone decided that it was a great idea to remove all my lug bolts except for one, which they loosened. So yeah, my front wheel almost fell off. And in the process I destroyed one of the threads in the hub. So now I need a new hub and lug bolts.

I can only assume it was the same person who reported me and did this.
Pretty obvious, but just be careful with leaving your cars on the street.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

poohbah

What a b***ard. Sorry to hear you have such un-neighbourly neighbours Andrew.

Shouldn't be too hard to spot the ones responsible. They will be the ones who refuse to make eye contact with you when you look their way, and suddenly need to look at their watch.

And here were we all saying it is the best looking street in Melbourne!
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Garibaldi

We had the same problem parking on the nature strip. You know how it goes too many cars, not enough space. Better on the nature strip than on the road, or so I thought. Anyway we and some of our neighbours had been doing this for months with no problems. Then suddenly the council come around and put notices on all of our windows. Someone had obviously complained but didn't have the b..lls to come and see us first. Now everyone parks on the road and blocks the street with causes traffic congestion. Go figure.  >:(

LaStregaNera

Seriously? You've got the sads because someone's reported your unregistered cars that are left on the street? FWIW, up here the councill will often cruise around looking for dumped cars, so may not have been that someone reported you.
It's a loooooong bow to draw to suggest the same person who reported you unbolted the wheel - I'd look more at someone trying to knock off your wheels.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

kaleuclint

Agree.  I used to occasionally park my Saab half on the nature strip knowing that the council would most likely book me if one of their enforcement minions drove past.  Doesn't help that you are trying to free up the carriageway for traffic.  Incidentally, parking across the driveway crossover (even if it's your driveway) can result in same.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Garibaldi

Quote from: LaStregaNera on December 02, 2016, 11:40:54 AM
Seriously? You've got the sads because someone's reported your unregistered cars that are left on the street? FWIW, up here the councill will often cruise around looking for dumped cars, so may not have been that someone reported you.
It's a loooooong bow to draw to suggest the same person who reported you unbolted the wheel - I'd look more at someone trying to knock off your wheels.

My cars are all registered and they still reported me!

Mick A

Sorry man, but no sympathy here.

I would hate it if my neighbours left unregistered cars on the street, it's not a good look for a neighbourhood. Whenever I see an unregistered vehicle parked in our area for more than a couple days I always call the council to report it. No problems if it's off the road.

I think it's just the look of a car without plates sends a dodgy message and also can attract unwanted attention in the area.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

Mick.

V AR 164

Both cars had plates on them and were very well maintained, better than half the cars in my street. And I highly doubt someone would want to steal ugly 15' wheels with old tyres which have the Alfa stud pattern, which wouldn't fit on any other car.....

I am pretty certain it is someone in the street and am just angry that someone would purposely intend to DESTROY other peoples property. I am sure if this happened to you, you would crack the sh*ts too. It is NOT theirs, so they do not have ANY rights to mess with it. My parents always told me to respect other peoples property, and someone clearly didn't. End of story.

I have since moved my registered cars on the street now in place of the unregistered ones. So I really don't see the point in this whole exercise of reporting me.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Mick A

I agree 100% with you that nobody should ever damage someone else's property on purpose.

But I don't agree with your attitude about keeping unregistered cars on the public road.

You should have some respect for your neighbours by not hogging the street with unregistered cars. Keep your property, on your property.

I guess now you've swapped them that's a good thing. But maybe that's what you should have done in the first place.

-Mick.

poohbah

I say live and let live. 90% of the time when I think honestly about crap that might bother me, in reality makes no actual difference to my life. Personally I'd rather have 4 80s Alfas parked on the road,  than a dozen new shitboxes any day, or someone who never mows their lawn. Whoever moaned about it was a miserable Sob In my opinion.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)