My Sud project is beginning at last!

Started by sudonthemend, November 08, 2016, 09:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sudonthemend

Hi everyone, this will be first post on here. I have eventually now got time to start on my Sud restoration ( had to wait on the kids growing up). But myself and a few very kind friends of mine are going to restore fully, hopefully! I will add a few pics and get a bit of a diary going. I will probably be on here a lot now as I have never done this before. So I hope I can tap into the wealth of knowledge in here, because I'm going to need it!

Look forward to chatting

Cheers Shane

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Alfasud Ti QV 1983

sudonthemend

Alfasud Ti QV 1983

sudonthemend

Alfasud Ti QV 1983

Bourney

Looks like you have a great base with your car.

Enjoy!

sudonthemend

I have a few rust patches. But looks good generally. Won't be a quick project.

Alfasud Ti QV 1983

Alfa.mg

Awesome, looks good. Im doing the same on the other side of town. Will be good to see a few more at the alfa spetacollo each year. Have fun!
Mark
1983 alfasud TI 1.5 silver
1990 Alfa 33 cloverleaf 1.7 white
2001 Alfa 156 2.0 red
2003 Alfa 147 2.0 red
2001 Alfa 156 2.5 Monza silver (now)
1983 Alfa Sud TI 1.5 red (now)
1974 berlina 2000 white (1 too many)

sudonthemend

How far along are you mark? Hope the restoration is going well.
Can't remember the last time I saw one on the road.

Alfasud Ti QV 1983

Alfa.mg

Im very nearly completed engine rebuild. Bottom end is all together and heads are being built this week. Pedal box has been rebuilt. Ive got the suspension apart but need to source some front shocks. My body is good, the last owner repaimted and did very good repairs. But i still have a few things to fix like the dint from the small roo i hit. Finding the mechanics relatively easy, the plastics will be the hard part to make look good. Looks like you got yourself a good example to work with.
2001 Alfa 156 2.0 red
2003 Alfa 147 2.0 red

Bourney

Hi,

I am nearing the end of an 18 month restoration including removing the engine and gearbox and all of the interior and exterior. It has been slow as my car is not stored at home as I moved house. I must confess a friend of mine has done most of the mechanical work (I have just helped him as needed) while I have sourced the parts and done the non mechanical work such refitting the interior and exterior.

My advice is to take lots and lots of photos with your phone as you disassemble. It's amazing what you quickly forget! The other thing would be to have lots of ziplock bag, tags/labels and containers to put the parts as you pull the car apart and clearly the contents with permanent pen. Storing the various bags/stuff in logical sections saves a lot if time down the track. This was my first restoration so this is probably very obvious but I thought it may help.

Depending on your budget you can get the external plastics refurbed or I have been told you can use  this product (I am in no way associated with it by the way - I plan to use it on my Peugeot 205 bumpers and trims which are very faded after I finish the Sud):
http://www.gtechniq.com.au/productsInfo.php?prodParenty=1&prodId=6

It would be great to see more Sud's on the road. I think I have seen 1 in the last 10 years!
Good luck!

Alfa.mg

Wow thats some expensive stuff, must be mAde from unicorn wee  ;D Would be worth it on a sud if it worked though. Do u think 30ml will do all exterior parts?
Hey Bourney, what exactly do u mean by refurbing exterior plastics? last owner painted some of mine. Not sure how to strip paint from plastic. Or get around small scratches and things.

2001 Alfa 156 2.0 red
2003 Alfa 147 2.0 red

Bourney

Hi,
I took my bumpers, sill trims and wheel arch and headlight surrounds, etc to a place in Brisbane that does bumper reconditioning, plastic welding and sand blasting. They do insurance work to repair plastic parts as it is a lot cheaper than new parts. Having said that it was not cheap but I did not want to let the car down with faded plastics.

If the other stuff works, I think it would be money well spent but you won't know until 6-12months. As I said, I will give it a go on my Peugeot 205.

Either way, there is an unlimited amount of material for repairing plastic bumpers on YouTube. A lot of people seem to use heat guns.

Regards David

blazingsud

Gtechniq products are awesome. I use the trim stuff, it's brilliant.
The P1 polish and fabric protector are also great, in fact all their products are great except for two things;

1/ price!!  Australian price gouging at its finest! I had words with the Sydney importer at MotoClassica!!

2/ if you search for tips, the web sends you to the Australian site, that doesn't have product usage tips or videos. The UK site does, but you will always get redirected to the Australian site.

I used to be able to buy from Amazon at about 1/4 of the price, but last time I tried they wouldn't ship to Australia.

I will end up buying in U.K. & get brother to on ship to me.
Nigel
Nigel Hyphen Donut
2010 159 2.4JTDm SW
74 sud  Blue Procida
76 sud L Silver
76 sud.L Coral Red,
78 Sprint 1.5 Red Twin carb
82 Alfasud Ti 1.5
83 Alfasud Ti 1.5
Porsche 928S4,Ducati 907ie x 2,Lambretta
Haflinger
past