156 JTS Exhaust

Started by alfagtv152, October 27, 2016, 09:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv152

Hi All,
I have removed the air cleaner and fitted a pod filter behind the Left headlight and have a modified 2:1/4 inch exhaust with just a big hot dog in front pipe and a small Turbo Tuff resonator in the rear 2:1/4 inch tail pipe.
This combination resulted in a very smooth idle and great performance, it also gave me a grey exhaust colour after sprinting which I was very surprised to see.I normally only see that colour from avgas but I am running 98ULP.
The engine management system is truly active after changes are made, after changing back to my normal rear pipe the idle and exhaust became very rich and black but is calming down again the more I drive it.
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

josh18

Hi Andrew, could you post some pics of your setup of the pod? I have to change our filter I think and am trying to track down why ours is running very rich. Also when replacing the filter and exhaust did you need to reset the computer or anything like that? Reading your post it seems the ECU is adaptive. Seeing the standard filter looks to be a real pain to replace I was thinking about going for a pod when i saw your post.
Cheers
Josh

johnl

"Running very rich" suggests an 02 sensor on the way out...

Regards,
John.

bazzbazz

Andrew, I am assuming your car is a JTS, yes?

If so you need to remove the upper 2 Oxygen sensors ands using a good light or a inspection probe check the Catalytic Converters, I suspect you will find them faulty, broken or disintegrated.

I hope I am wrong but what you describe sounds very familiar as I have had to repair a couple of JTS engines lately and they all suffered cat failure and had symptoms identical to yours.

Like I said, hope I am wrong.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au