GTV Grey bumper paint codes

Started by GranTurismoVeloce, October 25, 2016, 03:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GranTurismoVeloce

Hi everyone.

I am a new member of the club so this may have been covered in a previous post.

I am currently restoring my recently acquired Alfetta GTV 2.0 1984.

Some sadist has painted all the plastics and bumpers in a very crude shade of blotchy black along with the side strip along the bottom of the doors. In the up and coming weeks we plan to strip back the paint and hopefully reveal the original paint. In any case we are going to need to reprint paint the bumpers and the lower parts of the doors. Does anyone have a paint code for this? In my online search I can't seem to find a solid official colour code. - Cheers Chris.

[img width=1024 height=768]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161025/beb99e470b4954c98d3c7ce0c28b117f.jpg[

poohbah

My plastic-bumper '81 GTV has a non-original paint job (GMH Turbine Grey), so I'm not sure if this applies to original paint schemes, but the bumpers are painted the same shade as the duco (other than the black rubber strips which run around the middle surface of each bumper).

In which case, could you use the code for the body paint to get a paint shop to mix a matching colour in the right sort of paint for polyurethane?

I have noticed however that some other plastic bumper models do not have colour-matched bumpers, and instead just have a black/grey plastic finish.

In which case, the colour should probably match the finish on the triangular rear air vent panels. Though I imagine the raw plastic finish of the vents may be pretty faded after 30-odd years in the elements. Maybe you should just strip them back to the original plastic and clear coat?

I've attached a pic of my GTV so you can see what I mean about my bumpers - note the GTV6 behind it has all-black bumpers.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

GranTurismoVeloce

Hey Poohbah thanks for the reply. The colour of your GTV looks great. Very smart. So my model is thr 84 with grey bumpers. My issue is someone has painted over all of the grey plastics with black so I don't have a reference. Do you know if the original grey is paint or just raw plastic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poohbah

I think they would have the same finish as the triangular rear air vents, if that is any help. Or have they been painted too?
            1981 GTV

rowan_bris

they are not painted originally although most are by now

LukeC

I am pretty sure '84 model year GTVs were painted a metallic grey below the rubbing strip (I separated one out a year or two ago). The bumpers were similarly painted.

All others except Grand Prixes were a natural mid grey. There is a Duplicolour product that is virtually identical to the original finish.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Dupli-Color-Aerosol-Paint-Flexible-Bumper-Coating-Charcoal-311g/324096

There is primer you must use first with it. I straightened mine with a heat gun and used this. I was pretty happy with the result.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

LukeC

On Fleabay at the moment....

'84 and painted bumpers for your reference if you want it right.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

rowan_bris

That car does have painted bumpers, but they didn't from the factory....

poohbah

I reckon paint the bumpers, except the rubber strip, as per Luke's car.

1981 GTV

LukeC

Thought I still had one of the bumpers from that '84 GTV. It had completely factory paint, never hit and no rust.

So: confirmed that year '84 cars which were painted metallic grey below the rubbing strip (same grey was the same as the non-black accent around the windows on plastic bumper GTVs) had bumpers were that were painted. One of many bits of Alfa trivia stored away in the dark recesses of my mind.

See image for unpainted base versus the painted finish (albeit rather old and faded).

So, Chris: if you want the right shade for your car, you have to colour match the grey part around the windows.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

rowan_bris

They weren't painted from the factory but Luke is right as to the colour to paint them if you want to get close to what they were originally.

GranTurismoVeloce

Hi all thanks for the great feedback. The 84 models had the silver painted on the lower half of the door. Someone has painted mine silver[emoji51] it really needs to be brought back to the dark silver / grey, surly there must be a paint code for this? In regards to the bumpers I did a light sand and it turns out the colour is a natural grey plastic.

If anyone has the dark grey paint code for the bottom of the doors I would appreciate it.

GG105

I haven't got paint codes, but if you look at my "Early GTV6" thread you will find pictures of the silver for a late car and the correct grey which is on the early one. The late car had its grey parts painted and the colour wasn't quite correct.

From what I've been able to establish, the silver paint below the rub strips and around the windows is not shiny it is a matt finish and relatively thick.

If you can find a stock car, a good body shop should be able to analyse the colour and mix it for you. If my car wasn't on a hoist at the moment I would do this for you.

John
1959 Giulietta Sprint
1969 GT 1300 Junior
1970 Giulia 1300 TI
1975 Ferrari 365 GT4
1990 Mazda MX5
2005 BMW 330Ci
2014 Porsche Turbo

GranTurismoVeloce

Quote from: GG105 on October 28, 2016, 08:13:32 AM
I haven't got paint codes, but if you look at my "Early GTV6" thread you will find pictures of the silver for a late car and the correct grey which is on the early one. The late car had its grey parts painted and the colour wasn't quite correct.

From what I've been able to establish, the silver paint below the rub strips and around the windows is not shiny it is a matt finish and relatively thick.

If you can find a stock car, a good body shop should be able to analyse the colour and mix it for you. If my car wasn't on a hoist at the moment I would do this for you.

John

Thanks for the info John. I think I'll need to do that.

bonno

Hi
I have just completed a repaint of my 1983 Alfetta GTV and had to make a decision on restoring the bumpers back to original plastic finish or colour code them. I decided to go with colour coded bumpers and the finished product can be seen in the attached photos. I also have included photo of the paint code for the original colour.
Regards
bonno