Fuel filter spider

Started by The Count, October 23, 2016, 06:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazzbazz

Is it really big enough to expand to the size required????

If so, you're a bloody genius, in the RAAF we would call that "Lateral Thinking!"   ;)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bazzbazz

Quote from: 105greg on January 25, 2017, 07:01:43 PM
This may. Help.  I literally just fitted my new pump.  On installing you basically have to push the pump down in its seat as it seems to be on some spring mechanism so you can fit the cap.  I'm wondering if you get someone to push down on the pump while you try to hit it off it may release the tension.   Worth a try.   
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm afraid it won't. The top of the pump assembly seals against the top of the tank, the bottom section is spring loaded, so you push down till the top is pressed against the top of the tank then screw the cap on. You have to think of it as the top section being the fixed point and it is the bottom that floats up and down on the springs, not the other way around.

The lower spring section is to assure the pump is always firmly against the floor of the tank, also allows for tolerances in tank manufacture, expansion/contraction with heat/cold and allows the pump to be fitted to slightly different sized tanks.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

105greg

Nice if that works you can hire it out to every other poor bastard.   Funny they must be all different.  I was lucky mine I came off easily .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bazzbazz

Well you started with a blunt chisel . . . . maybe it was afraid of what might be next if it didn't relent?   ;)

;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

The Count

Will not be able to get to this for a couple of weeks as life is busy but will keep you posted. By the time I get to try the tool, my new fuel pump should be here so will take some pics as I do the job.
Nick