If only - Alfasud 6C Sprint

Started by poohbah, October 21, 2016, 06:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

I just stumbled on this website, dedicated to the mythical Alfasud 6C Sprint intended for Group B rallying in the 80s.

http://www.sprint6c.com/

Such a pity it never made it into production - check out that cool engine/trans layout.

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

V AR 164

Why have I never seen this before!? It's beautiful! Definately need to print out a poster and stick it up  ;D

What an interesting mid engine layout, looks as though they have just taken the drive train out of a 75 and Frankenstein it in there.

Would be pretty awesome to drive aswell, that torquey V6 in a superlightweight body sounds like the perfect recipe.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

poohbah

Agreed, I'd never heard of it before yesterday either.
            1981 GTV

alfamisa

There's lots of things to learn about Alfa Romeo and related...like the 6C was the inspiration for the Australian built Giocattolo...

;)
The Alfa Romeo heritage "rinascimento" (renaissance) continues in each and every new model...the first "rinascimento" being 1915.

Duk

It would be fantastic to build a more modern approach to a 6C.
Use a later 24 valve engine with its matching more modern ECU or a capable programmable ECU, for a start.
Carbon fibre panels where possible.
Replace the Sprint's McPherson strut front suspension with an unequal length wishbone arangement along with an unequal length wishbone rear suspension.
Do a MUCH better job of the the area under the bonnet by making it a usable storage space and directing radiator airflow either under, or, preferably, out of the bonnet and over the car.

Keep the car nice and simple, but light, structurally rigid, well engineered and (suspension) tunable. Maybe even go as far as to have the front and rear roll centre height/camber curves adjustable like the Lancia 037 were.............

Probably just use a flipped Porsche transaxle instead of trying to get a ZF TA in Aus.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

poohbah

Go on Duk, give it a crack. It'd be brilliant.
            1981 GTV

poohbah

BTW Alfamisa - any of those Giacattolos left and still on the road? Video says there were 15 built.
            1981 GTV

Duk

Quote from: poohbah on October 22, 2016, 07:39:22 PM
Go on Duk, give it a crack. It'd be brilliant.

1 unfinished project at a time.

And I have 2 of them......................  :-[

It would be awesome tho!  8)
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

alfamisa

Quote from: poohbah on October 22, 2016, 10:23:09 PM
BTW Alfamisa - any of those Giacattolos left and still on the road? Video says there were 15 built.

No idea, latest one I've seen was at Philip Island historics in the car park circa 2010 (white one) and in this video posted 2009 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-RBwcbWs-k

On this website the fact the Alfa Sprint production ended meant they had no access to new chassis...they already used composite panels (the sensible low production vs cost choice) and the cars were expensive, they were very well designed and built and very expensive at the time...http://alfasud.alfisti.net/gioe.html

Of course people in the know will remember the Wilkes "Judge" accident in the twin turbo version (+700hp) that killed the driverhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r_9a0Z8XSs.

By co incidence, this morning on 7mate the SA Motorsport Festival 2015 had Kaplan that had built a group C RX7 Moffatt replica as he had previously crashed his Giocattolo in an event 2008 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N43zXxHI-M

He still had his Group B racing suit he used in the Giocattolo.

Sadly I fear these cars will eventually be written off if they aren't preserved as collectables.
The Alfa Romeo heritage "rinascimento" (renaissance) continues in each and every new model...the first "rinascimento" being 1915.

hammer

There's a gorgeous, totally original "Chooklotto" here in the Qld Alfa club, owned by former club president Ken Percival. It even still has the original tool kit, which includes a bottle of Bundaberg Rum. It's an amazing thing to hear that 5.0 V8 growl coming out of a fully pimped Sprint.

poohbah

Crikey, the Wilkes one had 856 BHP.
            1981 GTV

bazzbazz

Quote from: hammer on October 23, 2016, 03:07:02 PM
It even still has the original tool kit, which includes a bottle of Bundaberg Rum.

I remember there was an entire segment dedicated to the Giocattolo on the TV series "Towards 2000".

Where were these things built? I mean nothing screams QUEENSLANDER more than a bottle of Bundy in the tool kit!  ;)
(ah just read one of the links above, Caloundra!)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bazzbazz

Quote from: alfamisa on October 23, 2016, 12:16:07 PM
Of course people in the know will remember the Wilkes "Judge" accident in the twin turbo version (+700hp) that killed the driverhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r_9a0Z8XSs.

To this day I have not heard any reasoning or explanation as to WHY they were running the wrong way on the drag strip!!!

He even took out the Xmas trees! No run off area just concrete. had he been running the correct direction he would have had miles of room to brake . . . . an entire paddock of run off room! Was there any official "intelligent" reason ever given?

:-\

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

julianB

I'm pretty sure an English guy on the BB built a replica 6C with a 164 12v 3.0.

Twin turbo one for me, thanks
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
AHM ITB setup, Jim K manifolds & 10.3 cams, M84
17" Work Meister S1R
330mm Brembo front, vented rears
RS coilovers and bits
Recaro LX mesh headrest buckets

'68 step nose Junior "Romeo"
bare metal project

poohbah

I'd be happy with a 6C replica using a stock 24V 2.5L injected Busso with 6sp manual box from the 156...

1981 GTV