Unable to start GTV6

Started by alfagtv85, October 20, 2016, 05:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv85

Hi All
Seeking some advice

My 116 has been sitting for a while whilst I resprayed the body, I started the alfa and it ran for a little while until it ran out of fuel.

Refilled the fuel tank and tried to start the alfa to no avail, engine just cranks over and does not fire, I have tried all suggest by Greg Gordon in his BOSCH L-JETRONIC FUEL INJECTION IDLE ADJUSTMENT, DIAGNOSTIC  AND TUNE UP PAGE.

Fuel pump is working and I have checked fuel to the CSI and injector rail, I am unable to check the fuel pressure although I have tried what Greg has suggested in filling a jug to determine the pressure.

I have also replaced fuse 5 and 8 as suggest in Greg's document just to be safe.

The only thing I can do next is to remove and try and clean the injectors as they maybe clogged.

Would anyone have any suggestions in what else I can try.

Regards Charlie
current
1987 Milano 75
1985 GTV 2.5
VW Jetta Daily Drive
Previous
1977 Alfetta GTV
1969 Alfa GT 1300 Junior

LukeC

If you have Spark and with a screwdriver on an injector hear them clicking (they are unlikely to be clogged):

"Start ya bastard"

No, I am not talking about what to say to the car...

I bought a 2.5 75 for a parts car a year or so ago. Would only start with it, then ran sweet as and start easy until it sat for a few days.

Give it a try before getting drastic. L-jet can be a bit cranky.

Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

V AR 164

My 3.0 V6 sat for a while too and didn't crank over. I tried 'Start ya bastard' but that didn't work either.

My issue was that the spark plugs were not gapped properly and wouldn't fire. Try some new spark plugs if you haven't already. Or make the gap for the existing plugs smaller by hitting the end of the plug gently with a hammer, careful not to break it!
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

alfagtv85

Thanks LukeC and V AR 164 for your reply

have tried "Start ya bastard" did not work, I will try the spark plugs and see what happens before I got drastic and try the injectors.
current
1987 Milano 75
1985 GTV 2.5
VW Jetta Daily Drive
Previous
1977 Alfetta GTV
1969 Alfa GT 1300 Junior

V AR 164

Before you pull the plugs out, give it a couple cranks. Then pull out the plugs and see if they are wet, if they are wet, Then fuel shouldn't be an issue. If they aren't, I would first replace the fuel filter as muck could have clogged it up and there is not enough pressure in the lines to enable the injectors to open.

Although, if the starting fluid didn't help, I doubt it would be a fuel issue. The fluid is meant to help diagnose issues such as a faulty fuel pump or clogged injectors.

Hope this helps, all the best.
Andrew
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

alfagtv85

V AR 164,many thanks for your advise I got it started as indicated spark plugs where the problem. Simple issue I should have checked before asking for help.

thanks again Andrew
current
1987 Milano 75
1985 GTV 2.5
VW Jetta Daily Drive
Previous
1977 Alfetta GTV
1969 Alfa GT 1300 Junior

V AR 164

No worries, glad I could help, it's always the simple things that are the biggest headache and are quite commmonly overlooked!

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti