Best Alfa service centre/ gearbox error

Started by RJC, October 19, 2016, 10:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJC

Hi all.

I just got my hands on a 2007 Brera 2.2 Selespeed and I am already getting very attached. I moved on from a Renault Sport Clio, which was a great little car, but suffered in the reliability stakes. Which is a good segue for this topic.

The car has relatively low K's for its age (only 47--- on the clock). It has a full logbook service from Zagame's, but I don't think it has actually been serviced since mid 2014 (only done 5000 K's since last service mind you). So my question is:

- Where do you suggest to get the car serviced? As I am new to the Alfa game, I don't want to get ripped off, but I also want to make sure the car is well looked after.

Another peculiar thing happened today while I was exiting the work car park. There are some very steep speed humps that require you to come to an almost complete stop. As I attempted to creep over the hump, I applied some throttle, and nothing happened, the car then sounded the error alarm and a warning appeared stating that the gearbox needed attention. I put the car into neutral, and then back into drive - this seemed to have fixed the problem. Is this a common idiosyncrasy of the selespeed box?

Anyway, I really do hope that my Alfa experience in not only an enjoyable one, but also a long lived one as well.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Rhyse.
2007 Brera 2.2 JTS Selespeed

Neil Choi

Usual answer:

Depending where you are located and convenient to you.

Maranello Pur Sang Brunswick Bruno
Monza Motors Bayswater Hugh
Mauceri Motors Clayton Seby

All trusted Alfa mechanics, all Alfa members, top two are life sentence members.

Domenic

There is also Northern Alfa (Vince) in Thomastown, has the factory tools and can do software updates so no need to go back to the dealer for stuff like that.

PM me if you need his details.

Jess159

Could do with a calibration, most local Alfa garages will be able to help you with that.
When you came to a stop were you still in 1st gear?  Sometimes it's easy to bump the level by accident to the left and put it in neutral say if you're reaching for the radio or heater control or if you talk with your hands to your passenger while driving. Alternatively if your system doesn't hold pressure it might jump out of gear too, or so I've been told.

Before they calibrate it they will plug in a code reading tool and this should surface any error codes that may suggest underlying issues whether electrical or mechanical.
If you're ever around the Keilor area I could be of some help since I have the Alfa scanner software on hand too.

Beetleman19

Doncaster Alfa formerly lance Dixon are well equiped to deal with this

RJC

Wow! Thanks everyone for your input/suggestions. I have also heard of a place called Alfamen - what are your thoughts on them? They seem to be pretty well set up.

Quote from: Jess159 on October 20, 2016, 09:03:06 AM
Could do with a calibration, most local Alfa garages will be able to help you with that.
When you came to a stop were you still in 1st gear?  Sometimes it's easy to bump the level by accident to the left and put it in neutral say if you're reaching for the radio or heater control or if you talk with your hands to your passenger while driving. Alternatively if your system doesn't hold pressure it might jump out of gear too, or so I've been told.

Before they calibrate it they will plug in a code reading tool and this should surface any error codes that may suggest underlying issues whether electrical or mechanical.
If you're ever around the Keilor area I could be of some help since I have the Alfa scanner software on hand too.

It wasn't in neutral, and was in first. I think it might have been because of the steepness of the bump as well as my inexperience driving an automated manual box. The changes are otherwise very smooth.

Thanks agin everyone :)

Garibaldi

Quote from: RJC on October 20, 2016, 03:18:11 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone for your input/suggestions. I have also heard of a place called Alfamen - what are your thoughts on them? They seem to be pretty well set up.

No one has mentioned Alex at Alfa Donnini Repairs in Malvern. He's a Club sponsor and does great work.  ;)

alfamisa

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 20, 2016, 06:52:29 PM

No one has mentioned Alex at Alfa Donnini Repairs in Malvern. He's a Club sponsor and does great work.  ;)

Yep Alex in Malvern is closest and good. But I'd get your battery checked...it can be a sign, with selespeed, that it will soon just die. When you talk of the low kms since the last service and length of time since it was checked by the dealer...I'm saying battery.
The Alfa Romeo heritage "rinascimento" (renaissance) continues in each and every new model...the first "rinascimento" being 1915.

RJC

Just thought I would give anyone who is interested an update on the gearbox situation.

I have had my car serviced, and an error code indicated that the gearbox computer and engine computer were not communicating with each other as they should have been. The error code also stated that the voltage from the battery at the time was not as high as it should have been. My mechanic had a look at the connections and noticed a bit of corrosion and also looseness in the fittings. After flushing both the gearbox and clutch, and also fixing up the connections to the battery, I can say with confidence the gear changes are far better than before.
Time will tell if this has fixed the rather stange issue with no gear engagement, but I am confident this has fixed it!

bazzbazz

RJC, who was it that you got to service your car? I am curious, as they are THE FIRST service centre that I know of who have carried out a clutch fluid flush & replacement. This is the one thing that will almost always eventually cause a problem with 159 S/speed systems, because replacing and flushing the clutch fluid is not listed in any of the servicing guidelines and its tucked away and always forgotten on all normal servicing.

Kudos to who ever it was.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

RJC

Quote from: bazzbazz on November 11, 2016, 03:07:14 PM
RJC, who was it that you got to service your car? I am curious, as they are THE FIRST service centre that I know of who have carried out a clutch fluid flush & replacement. This is the one thing that will almost always eventually cause a problem with 159 S/speed systems, because replacing and flushing the clutch fluid is not listed in any of the servicing guidelines and its tucked away and always forgotten on all normal servicing.

Kudos to who ever it was.

Baz

Matt at Alfamen carried out the service. After doing A LOT of research, I decided to take the car to the team because of the exceptional knowledge Matt has re Alfa's, and also because he had so much time for me when I made my original enquiry. The car is running way better now, and my mind is at ease knowing there is fresh fluid in the clutch assembly as well as the gearbox.

kaleuclint

Baz knows... ;)

Alfa Men always carry out various flushes and fluid changes according to my invoices.  Kudos from Baz only enhances my confidence in Matty's team.  An effort to get there, but worth it.
2011 159ti 1750TBi