Steering column length - anyone know the figures?

Started by aussieneil, September 18, 2016, 01:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussieneil

They say length doesn't matter, but when it comes to steering columns I disagree!

With the 115 2000 GTV and its dished steering wheel, the column length was commensurately shortened from the previous 1750s etc.

Does anyone know how to quickly identify which is which? My '72 2000 is now fully disassembled for a full restoration (see www.grouseguitars.com.au/alfa) but I have an uneasy feeling the apparently 'recently' replaced steering box/column (it was quite clean and freshly painted compared to other nearby components) may be for the previous models...

Any measurements much appreciated!

Neil.
wide-ranging classics - see www.grouseguitars.com.au/cars.htm

Colin Byrne

I've got a couple of steering columns sitting on the shelf, i'll measure them when I get home

I thought there were only 2 types and the early type was easily identified by a large lug with a hole in it hanging off the casting and not there on the later one.

72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

aussieneil

Quote from: Colin Byrne on September 18, 2016, 02:19:42 PM
I've got a couple of steering columns sitting on the shelf, i'll measure them when I get home

I thought there were only 2 types and the early type was easily identified by a large lug with a hole in it hanging off the casting and not there on the later one.

Thanks Colin - that will be hugely appreciated. The cause for my concern is this gap (photographed while stripping the car, but not investigated at the time). Hopefully nothing of concern...

Colin Byrne

So the 2 boxes do in fact have different length columns. The older type I have, which has the extra lug as mentioned is approximately 20mm longer

From the face of the steel flange that seals against the aluminium casting to the end of the outer column tube is 608 on the newer one and 630 on the older one

The extra "lug"  I'm referring to hangs down off the bottom of the steering box casting near one of the mounting bolts

On the phone so can't post pics but can do if my description is a bit confusing!

Cheers
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

aussieneil

Quote from: Colin Byrne on September 18, 2016, 05:16:38 PM
So the 2 boxes do in fact have different length columns. The older type I have, which has the extra lug as mentioned is approximately 20mm longer

From the face of the steel flange that seals against the aluminium casting to the end of the outer column tube is 608 on the newer one and 630 on the older one

The extra "lug"  I'm referring to hangs down off the bottom of the steering box casting near one of the mounting bolts

On the phone so can't post pics but can do if my description is a bit confusing!

Cheers

Thanks Colin,

Your descriptions have confirmed my suspicion that an incorrect box has been fitted. There's an unmistakeable extra lug near one of the mounting bolts, and the outer column tube is 630mm in length. It looks (and feels) like it's a reconditioned one, but fitted over 26 years ago when the car last ran!

So, next question for the collective knowledge out there. Are the columns interchangeable, or do I need to source a whole new steering box/column assembly?

LukeC

There are 3 lengths of 105 steering box column length. The cars without steering locks are the longest, These are early Giulia sedans and flat dash coupes. They are about 4 mm longer than the next series of box (cars with steering locks and flat steering wheels (coupes, Berlinas and Giulias). All of these boxes had the lug (for under dash hand brake crank mounting in Giulia sedans). This column was about 930 mm as Colin says.Until this time, the sector shaft seal was an 0-ring, and prone to leaking.

The later steering boxes (once the 2000 cars were introduced} had a shorter column and deep dish steering wheels: around 910 mm. These boxes had no lug, as no cars from then on had an under dash hand brakes (The Giulia Super I owned 23 years ago was the only Giulia sedan I have ever seen with a centre hand brake). These boxes also have slightly different threads on the bolts and a lipped seal.

As the castings are prone to cracking, is is not unusual to see a pre-2000 casting in a post 2000 car (short column). If I am ever reconditioning a box for a short column car that has a cracked case (using an earlier case), I cut the lug off so the car appears correct from underneath.

You get a bit like that...
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

aussieneil

Thanks Luke,

Hugely helpful. That's what's obviously happened with my car (putting in an earlier steering box/column assembly), and the owner must have been happy to put up with the unsightly gap between the wheel and housing - he may have preferred the closer steering wheel position.

So am I right to assume the correct, shorter column can be fitted to this steering box (and the superfluous lug cut off) if I can source a correct, shorter column with a serviceable worm and rebuild the box?

Any pointers where I might source a suitable wormshaft?

LukeC

Yes, but it is a little more complicated than just bolting in the correct column and worm shaft.

I will send you a PM to expand on the topic.

A very good thread on reconditioning Burman boxes can be found on the US based Alfa Romeo Bulletin board:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/suspension-steering-brakes-wheels-tires/152689-burman-box-rebuild.html

Pretty much everything there is to know is there, but you need to sift a lot of posts.

Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au