Tyre Choice - 1972 Berlina 2000

Started by BenS, September 16, 2016, 07:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenS

My Berlina is due for a new set of boots and I have been starting to research different tyre options. I am running Simitomo HTR200 currently in 175/70R14 and wish to stay with the same size. I run a fair amount of highway as I live a few hours south of Brisbane but also enjoy some "fun" winding backroads.

Are there any recommendations for different brands, etc? What have your experiences been?

Cheers,

Ben

V AR 164

Big fan of continental tyres. I have a set of ContiPremiumContact 2's and they are fantastic. Low noise and ride superb. The ContiSportContact 2's are great too for more sportier driving.

Kuhmo Ecsta Sport are also very good, they provide excellent grip but I have found they wear out quickly.

However, if you are on a tight budget, I have set of diamondback dem11's on my 164 up front and they are fine for long distance driving and the occasional backroad blast when I go on club drives. A good cheap tyre, but you get what you pay for.

And finally the potenza r003, I haven't experienced them but I have only heard good things.

Not sure if any of the tyres I have mentioned are sold in 175/70 R14, but definately are worth a look.

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

LaStregaNera

Stay well clear of Falken ZE912s - I've got them on my GTV and they're awfull. The instant it rains it's like the car has 600hp. They're 480 wear rating, so its not like i'll wear them out any time soon.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Mr Frog

I've just fitted a set of Bridgestone Ecopias to my new 15" Alfaholics alum rims and I really like them - improved/lighter steering and they seem to handle very well indeed. OK in the wet, too. They're middle-of-the-road tyres, if you'll excuse the pun.