Brera Bluetooth upgrade

Started by alfajoe, August 29, 2016, 06:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfajoe

Hey guys.

Bought a Brera late last week and safe to say I'm in love with it!!!!

Only thing is there is no way for me to connect my phone.

Was wondering if it would be possible to connect a Bluetooth adaptor to the back AUX-In of the head unit and splice into the head units power to run the adaptor.

Reason being is, I don't want to change the stock head unit and I don't want to have cables in the cabin...I.e. Using an fm transmitter.

If that can't be done is there any other way??

Cheers

Colin Edwards

G'day alfajoe,
Are you 100% certain the Brera dosent support Bluetooth / "blueandme"?
I have a 2008/2009 159Ti.  The 159 and the Brera seem to share the same owners manual.  The 159 supports Bluetooth  hands free phone functionality.
Is there a "phone" button on the steering wheel?
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

alfajoe

There is a phone button on the steering wheel but it doesn't do anything.
And if I was to get a blue and me adaptor apparently from what i read it doesn't work with iPhone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alfajoe

Has anyone done something similar to this or had any ideas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Colin Edwards

Hi alfajoe,

Go to blueandme.net and have a bit of a poke around.  Your Bluetooth functionality may have been wiped or corrupted during a previously unsuccessful update. 
Basically you download the update on to a clean usb then plug it into the car usb port.  Turn on the ignition but do not start engine.  Should perform an update in 2 - 3 minutes.

Failing that you could take the car to a dealer or repairer that can perform a firmware update or restore.  Cant comment re iPhone but blueandme works most of the time with my Samsung
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Alfa2

I got the bluetooth phone system working with my iphone 6 on our '08 Brera without too much pain. There's a handy little 'quick guide' in the manual. Let me know if you need it scanned. I'll be attempting the firmware update when I have a few spare minutes, because that should get USB connected iphone/ipod connectivity for music etc, which seems to be missing at present.
Now: '08 Brera 2.2 JTS
Then: '85 Alfetta GTV6

waheke27

Quote from: Alfa2 on September 05, 2016, 05:24:38 PM
I got the bluetooth phone system working with my iphone 6 on our '08 Brera without too much pain. There's a handy little 'quick guide' in the manual. Let me know if you need it scanned. I'll be attempting the firmware update when I have a few spare minutes, because that should get USB connected iphone/ipod connectivity for music etc, which seems to be missing at present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helmerson

Hey alfajoe,

congrats to your Brera purchase.

I have recently also got a 2009 Brera (Spider) and had to go through a three step procedure to update the Blue&Me firmware to its latest version, which is 5.6. I am using it with iPhone 4S and I also needed to purchase the Blue&Me USB dongle adapter, otherwise the iPhone won't charge on the USB port, and MediaPlayer is not enabled.

I can use the iPhone for handsfree calling, listen to streaming music or music media from iPhone and also use Google and Tomtom GPS software on phone, the Bluetooth system in the car takes care of fading the various audio signals in and out as appropriate.

The http://www.blueandme.net website is a painful Flash website, so only use with a PC to get the needed files. First you need to download the Configurator, put it on a USB memory stick, plug into car and run it (follow their PDF instructions to the letter!). Then upload what their configurator dumped from the car onto your USB stick to their website, that will tell you then which version you have in your car.

My Brera was at version 5.0 and needed two update steps to 5.5 and then to 5.6 (no direct update to 5.6 possible), you need to go through the intermediate step. Each update step comes with its own PDF, they are different in contents and need to be followed carefully!

You will also need to get the Blue@Me USB dongle (not cheap, from memory around $100 from a UK seller) and your Brera will be right up there with late model cars in terms of communications features.

There is one odd 'feature': the Blue&Me USB socket is only powered when ignition is on, so in accessories mode, e.g. radio on but ignition off, the iPhone won't charge and the MediaPlayer is not available. Once ignition is on, the MediaPlayer takes over from the radio and iPhone charges.

Hope this helps!

Skypilot

Quote from: Helmerson on August 15, 2017, 05:07:36 PM
Hey alfajoe,

congrats to your Brera purchase.

I have recently also got a 2009 Brera (Spider) and had to go through a three step procedure to update the Blue&Me firmware to its latest version, which is 5.6. I am using it with iPhone 4S and I also needed to purchase the Blue&Me USB dongle adapter, otherwise the iPhone won't charge on the USB port, and MediaPlayer is not enabled.

I can use the iPhone for handsfree calling, listen to streaming music or music media from iPhone and also use Google and Tomtom GPS software on phone, the Bluetooth system in the car takes care of fading the various audio signals in and out as appropriate.

The http://www.blueandme.net website is a painful Flash website, so only use with a PC to get the needed files. First you need to download the Configurator, put it on a USB memory stick, plug into car and run it (follow their PDF instructions to the letter!). Then upload what their configurator dumped from the car onto your USB stick to their website, that will tell you then which version you have in your car.

My Brera was at version 5.0 and needed two update steps to 5.5 and then to 5.6 (no direct update to 5.6 possible), you need to go through the intermediate step. Each update step comes with its own PDF, they are different in contents and need to be followed carefully!

You will also need to get the Blue@Me USB dongle (not cheap, from memory around $100 from a UK seller) and your Brera will be right up there with late model cars in terms of communications features.

There is one odd 'feature': the Blue&Me USB socket is only powered when ignition is on, so in accessories mode, e.g. radio on but ignition off, the iPhone won't charge and the MediaPlayer is not available. Once ignition is on, the MediaPlayer takes over from the radio and iPhone charges.

Hope this helps!

How did you get music to stream from your iPhone to B&M? I thought it was just for calls as it's missing A2D2 for music streaming? Unless you're using that app that using calls for music that ends up an inferior sound?

Skypilot

Sorry if someone already posted... but I installed this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bluetooth-USB-SD-AUX-Adapter-Car-Kit-Alfa-Romeo-147-156-159-Brera-GT-Spider-Mito/222410317223?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It works a treat. If you need tips to install let me know... Can be easy, can be tricky.

But sound quality playing my Apple Music over bluetooth is incredible. Crystal clear and loud - perfect for the Bose system in my Brera... the subwoofer punches unlike it had before.

Voice navigation from your apps and calls are also loud and clear.

Steering wheel controls also capable (right side only). Works a treat.

JimB

To Skypilot.
You new device sounds like it would fix my previously posted, pain-in-the-arse issue, which I've copied below. What do you do with that device, please? I mean do you just plug it in to the USB port or what? I think for $90- it would be worth a try, cheaper than changing to a Honda at least  :)
"Not sure if this issue is related to my previous Media Player post. This problem has arisen twice and much worse the the second time today. It occurs during the making of a phone call out, through the BT system from my iPhone 6s.. In the middle of the call an absolutely deafening noise is produced through the cars speakers, so loud that you have to get out of the car! On the first occasion cancelling the call stopped the noise. Today nothing, including turning off the radio, ac etc and stopping the engine, removing the key, would stop the noise. Disconnecting the battery eventually did the trick!
Never encountered anything remotely similar in my life. Does anyone have a clue if this is related to the latest iPhone update?"
Thanks Jim

Skypilot

Quote from: JimB on January 04, 2018, 06:51:23 AM
To Skypilot.
You new device sounds like it would fix my previously posted, pain-in-the-arse issue, which I've copied below. What do you do with that device, please? I mean do you just plug it in to the USB port or what? I think for $90- it would be worth a try, cheaper than changing to a Honda at least  :)
"Not sure if this issue is related to my previous Media Player post. This problem has arisen twice and much worse the the second time today. It occurs during the making of a phone call out, through the BT system from my iPhone 6s.. In the middle of the call an absolutely deafening noise is produced through the cars speakers, so loud that you have to get out of the car! On the first occasion cancelling the call stopped the noise. Today nothing, including turning off the radio, ac etc and stopping the engine, removing the key, would stop the noise. Disconnecting the battery eventually did the trick!
Never encountered anything remotely similar in my life. Does anyone have a clue if this is related to the latest iPhone update?"
Thanks Jim

Hi Jim

If you buy the bluetooth module, you'll need to install it by plugging the wires into the CD Changer ports behind the radio... which means you need to pull out the radio. It won't work by just connecting it to the USB in your glovebox.

Are you in Sydney? I can help you with this if you're not confident.

Thanks,
John

JimB

Thanks John, however I'm in Adel. I have a radio installer contact so it will be OK. Does this installation effect the in-dash CD player or is it just a changer that won't work? My car only has the standard in-dash unit. Jim

Skypilot

Quote from: JimB on January 04, 2018, 07:31:14 AM
Thanks John, however I'm in Adel. I have a radio installer contact so it will be OK. Does this installation effect the in-dash CD player or is it just a changer that won't work? My car only has the standard in-dash unit. Jim

Won't affect the single CD or radio. It will just disable your CD Changer if you have one as it'll replace the plug-in at the back of the radio.

The black box you'll see behind the radio when you take it out is the original Bluetooth module. You can take this out so you have somewhere to place the new Bluetooth module from eBay. But note you won't be able to access the USB and 3.5mm input on the new module once you put the radio back, unless you run extension leads out (such as under the dash/steering wheel area) - this is quite tricky as it's very hard to run wires through the available gaps (just like trying to run wires behind walls in your house!).

Once installed you'll be very happy. It'll bring the car to 2018 with the same functionality as most cars without that annoying sound.

JimB