Brera Bluetooth upgrade

Started by alfajoe, August 29, 2016, 06:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

Best objective review I've found yet of such devices - thanks.  I'm convinced to try one in a 147.

Only one question, and it's not a deal breaker if unknown - does it have the usual restrictions of ten or so MP3s to a folder with Android devices?  (I'm presuming you can page through the folders using the steering wheel controls and each displays as a "CD".) We would be using an older Samsung as a media device, not something from Fruit Inc at this stage. 

JimB

Hi All, further on the suitability of this adapter. I've taken my car to the radio Guru today. Sadly my 159 JTS Ti 2.2l manual has a single Din unit i.e. no CD changer connection, so the adapter under discussion won't connect. I've sent a query to the vendors, however have now practically lost interest as Ebay prevents me from directly contacting them to actually discuss the issue. Despite the extra cost I'm now inclined to replace the OEM sound system with perhaps an Alpine unit. I have one of these in another vehicle and they are perfect, no AR temprementalities at all. Jim

Skypilot

Quote from: Citroënbender on January 04, 2018, 10:16:44 AM
Best objective review I've found yet of such devices - thanks.  I'm convinced to try one in a 147.

Only one question, and it's not a deal breaker if unknown - does it have the usual restrictions of ten or so MP3s to a folder with Android devices?  (I'm presuming you can page through the folders using the steering wheel controls and each displays as a "CD".) We would be using an older Samsung as a media device, not something from Fruit Inc at this stage.

If you're talking about the ebay bluetooth for $90, unfortunately no it doesn't organise by folders as such. You can still use steering wheel control to change music, but you can't scroll through folders or playlists. You would need to just do that directly on your phone. The reason is simple... The stock radio display is very simple and 10 yr old tech, so it would be complex to show layers of info.

The main thing is that the sound output is excellent. Very high definition and no hiss or white noise etc. Making and receiving calls is also excellent, as is the Mic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skypilot

Quote from: JimB on January 04, 2018, 10:40:27 PM
Hi All, further on the suitability of this adapter. I've taken my car to the radio Guru today. Sadly my 159 JTS Ti 2.2l manual has a single Din unit i.e. no CD changer connection, so the adapter under discussion won't connect. I've sent a query to the vendors, however have now practically lost interest as Ebay prevents me from directly contacting them to actually discuss the issue. Despite the extra cost I'm now inclined to replace the OEM sound system with perhaps an Alpine unit. I have one of these in another vehicle and they are perfect, no AR temprementalities at all. Jim

That's sad to hear as it would have been a cheap Bluetooth conversion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Citroënbender

That's surprising about no receptacle.  I had a look at the 159 head units on Fleabay (UK) and while a number are single DIN behind the double-DIN fascia, they seemed mostly to have the correct fitting to suit. 

For example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152827041851

Skypilot, thanks for the clarification on the adaptor's capabilities.  Still sounds a good thing.

Citroënbender

I've ordered one of these units as discussed, hoping it arrives this week. My dearest person is dreaming of CDs that don't skip when fanging along the rubbish roads, so - fingers crossed - this will resolve such issues.

Citroënbender

An install question for Skypilot (well, two actually).

1. Did you link the black wires with M&F bullet connectors?
2. What DIP switch configuration did you end up with?

Can't get it to stream Android audio over Bluetooth, calls are OK but needed to put volume way up in each case.

Craig_m67

Does it support Bluetooth ADP2?? .. this is the protocol used to stream music. 
ADP2 protocol was added later. The original BlueTooth only supported calls, simple files exchange etc.. 

In my GQV the (Alfa)BlueTooth adaptor only supports calls - no ADP2. 
I added a second BlueTooth adaptor (A$5.72./ ex ebay HK) that supports ADP2 to the Aux in on the head unit to allow streaming audio from the phone/ipad etc.

My phone is happy to support two Bluetooth connections at once (send phone/Siri to the car, sends all streaming audio/map directions/video etc to the head unit)
All integrated and comes out the speakers (phone prioritises calls and Siri)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Citroënbender

Hi Craig,

The advert alleges it supports ADP2, there was confusion galore when it would preferentially pair with my iPhail over her Android - despite the latter being plugged in to the 3.5mm input...  And yes, my handset automatically would set itself to the "Music" setting with handsfree (the little headphone icon at top RHS of the screen) so I presume it recognised compatibility there. 

If I unpaired my phone the subwoofer dropped out. That was hard to understand, too. One great shortcoming (to me) is no pairing code!

sprint speciale

Hi John and All,

I purchased a 3.2 Brera yesterday. I love it !
Already though I have noticed these  bluetooth issues  as listed on the forum by many others ( mega noise through speakers etc)
May I please take you up on your kind offer for help ? I am in Sydney.
My number is 0418961099 or please pass on your number and I will call you.

Thanks so much,
Frank .
1963 Giulia Sprint Speciale no. 796 Ruddspeed RHD
1964 Giulia Spider (restoration)
1968 1300 GT Junior
1969 1750 Spider Veloce (osso di seppia)
1974 Alfasud L
1978 Alfetta GTV
1984 Alfetta GTV 6
1999 GTV 6 (GTA Engine)
2001 Spider lusso
2006 V6 Q4 Brera (Supercharged)
2011 159 2.4 Sportswagon