Sud steering wheel

Started by Bourney, August 20, 2016, 05:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bourney

I took the centre cap off my steering wheel but did not take any photos...a year later I try to reassemble the 3 parts of the centre cap and embarrassingly I cannot work it out   :'(

Can someone please send a photo or provide a detailed explanation that a person with clearly no mechanical ability could follow? I know it should not be that hard but...

Appreciate any help

colcol

The whole wheel boss clips onto the steering wheel on those 3 tabs, so somehow the loose bit must clip onto the steering wheel boss for it to clip onto the wheel.
Taken the steering wheel off lots of time to do wheel alignments or to fix the combination switch, but have never had that separate piece come off, looks like its been made that way for ease of manufacture, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Bourney

Thanks Colin.
Could you (or another found member) possibly send me a picture of the back of your centre cap so I can see how the 3 parts fit in together?

Thanks David

Evan Bottcher

Here you go.

The black ring goes behind the steering wheel hidden in the column shroud.  The tabs clip forward into the wheel itself.  I'm not sure what it's for, probably has the tabs for cancelling the indicators?

The other part is the cap itself - it just clips straight into the steering wheel.

Hope this helps.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Bourney

Thanks Evan, I will make another attempt!

Bourney

Success! Thanks Colin and Evan.
Regards David

colcol

Always be carefull with series 3 Alfasud steering wheels, the trafficator cancellers are prone to breaking and then the trafficators won't cancel, and you can drive all day with your trafficators putting on christmas lights.
Mine broke and it took ages to repair, cause new ones are rare as rocking horse droppings......before the days of plastic printers, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]