1750 Spider 69

Started by earcarpho, August 16, 2016, 08:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

earcarpho

Does anyone have a link for replacement panels or second hand supplies ex Italy for  69 Spider?
I know you can get some parts ex US, UK and Canada, wondering about Italy.
Body has just come back from the sandblaster, and it is now the hard decision to proceed or cut my losses and bin it.
It's looking like a very black deep hole.

Colin Byrne

sorry to hear, and can't help with your question, but would love to see a photo of what you were left with after sandblasting?
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

earcarpho

Dear Colin, find attached photographs. Today the chassis has been declared twisted and I am afraid that's it for me and this car. It's officially dead.

Colin Byrne

Sandblasting can reveal some horrible stuff, i purchased a door for the rally car build thinking it was in good nic and after sandblasting it was worse than the door i already had....

looks like it's had a couple of prangs, i've seen much worse than that repaired though, rust wise it looks pretty good? and as for the chassis not being straight, I'd be surprised if any spider was particularly straight, not exactly the strongest chassis design in the world, probably means it wouldn't be too difficult to pull back into shape?

72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

LaStregaNera

HVR should be able to do it.
Zoo Autocraft have the OEM jigs to straighten it, but they're in NSW.
http://www.zooautocraft.com.au/auto#restore

I've seen much worse repaired.
Don't bin it - if you aren't prepared to sort it out, someone else will.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

aggie57

Agreed. 69 1750's are one of the most sought after coupes here in the US, not so sure about the Spider but it looks like something somebody would want to take on.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

N Taylor

I have purchased various panels from Classic Alfa in the UK for my current Duetto restoration with success, but haven't investigated Italian suppliers.
The restoration has already turned into the black hole you describe with only the floors finished at this stage.

Mick A

Don't bin the car. Put it up for sale. You would be a fool to just throw it away.

Craig_m67

To be honest that doesn't look too bad, I image in the sills are toast and the final double floor parcel shelf. Is it an Australian delivered car, only ask as the welded in plates on the front wings suggest US indicators?

Also agree with the rest re twisted chassis, it's pretty simple to pull correctly and all the data points are known. Where is it twisted, how have they established that?

Mine is getting a new front end, all floors, all three sills on both sides and a new bootlid. Yours looks pretty good in comparison.

If you do sell, the value will be in documenting what is missing from the car (trim) ie. How complete it is/was. There's a few Duetto specific things that are hard to find eg, the top hood structure
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)