Mystery part and is it possible to find a new one?

Started by Bourney, August 14, 2016, 09:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bourney

Hi,
It's been a while between posts. A friend and I have been working on my 83 Ti QV  for the last 14 months. It was off the road for 10 years, sitting in the previous owner's garage. He sold it as he was going into a retirement home.

All exterior and interior trim removed and engine and gearbox out.

The car was in amazing shape. No rust (it apparently had been to a panel beater in the late 90s and rust removed and the car fully repainted) and no sign of ever being in an accident.

The head was taken off but it was in great condition and only really needed a clean up, as do the webbers, etc. I am replacing many parts such as front calipers, clutch, thermostat, suspension cleaned up and repainted, new bushes, struts (turned out to have koni's so that was good) reconditioned, new hoses, clutch master cyclinder, kits through rear brakes, redone the interior and exterior trim, new Ronal A1s and tyres, etc. Lucky my labour and my mates is cheap as I gave purposely noted added up the invoices!

Engine, gearbox and front suspension are back in so hopefully we can finish it off in the next few months.

Colcol- thanks for the tip about cracks in the chassis rails. There is a hair line crack in each side which I am going have welded as suggested

Any hoo, this brings me the junction in the photos - can anyone tell me what it is actually called and a part number? Is it possible to find a new one?

Another part I am finding difficult to source is the brake line clip on the firewall - again any help would be appreciated.

Thanks David

colcol

Hello Bourney,
The brake clip, would have to be sourced from a parts car, or an Alfa Romeo Wrecker, or even just make one out of some sheet metal.
The other part is an oil breather junction, as part of the positive crankcase Ventilation system.
The 4 small outlets, one each goes to the manifold under each carby, the 2 larger pipe outlet goes to the left manifold and right manifold, and the big pipe outlet goes to the oil filling pipe, look for the oil cap marked 'OLIO'.
These unions are usually cracked by now and are most likely leaking, strangely, i was able to fix the cracks and leaks with 5 minute Araldite, just as long as you thoroughly clean it all up.
If the pipes are badly cracked, i have inserted an aluminium pipe up the bore of the broken nipple and Araldited  it in, they are well over 30 years old now and have sat on top of a hot engine, and covered in oil, which doesn't help.
The Factory didn't put any hose clamps on the pipes, so they leaked and fumed, so to stop this i put some worm type hose clamps to seal them......not the best solution, as they cause the nipple to go out of round and crack.
The best solution is to put on spring hose clamps, which keep the hoses on tight, and don't distort the nipples and cause them to crack.
The only down side, is that the spring hose clamps cause cuts to yourself, as the barbs stick out looking for some flesh to cut, as i found out last weekend.
The hose clamp with the screws are easy to buy, the spring type hose clamps are not, i ended up finding the right size on ebay in Hong Kong, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Bourney

Hi Colin,

Thanks so much for your advice, as I was struggling.

I will do as you suggest. :)

Regards David

colcol

I should have made it clearer, on the oil union, the four small outlets, the pipes for these, go on the inlet manifold under the carbs, the two larger pipes go to the air intakes on top of the carbs.
The smaller four outlets break off, and can be fixed by tapping a thread where the pipe breaks off and a bolt of the appropriate size screwed in, and the centre drilled out, so that the oil can vent, be good if you could find a good oil PCV union, but that would be a needle in a haystack, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Bourney