Track Day Setup For 147 GTA

Started by Bobulon, August 14, 2016, 11:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobulon

Took my GTA for it's first track day last week and had a lot of fun, so now of course I want upgrades  ::) What I was thinking was getting two lightweight rims - 17s or 18s about 8 wide - and putting semi slicks on them so I can take them to the track with me. Is that sensible or will the difference in grip between front and back cause issues. Can't really fit 4 rims in the back without trashing the interior.

105gta

You would certainly want a set of 4 to keep the balance, and an old blanket is the answer to your interior worries ;) or a cheap bunnings tarp!
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)

bazzbazz

if you just put a set of racing slicks on the front you would in theory be giving the front end an increased degree in grip, does she understeer with standard set up in any way?

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Bobulon

Quote from: bazzbazz on August 14, 2016, 04:38:30 PM
if you just put a set of racing slicks on the front you would in theory be giving the front end an increased degree in grip, does she understeer with standard set up in any way?

Baz

Well it depends on how fast you enter the corners  ;D But yeah she's pretty loose, or tight - I can't remember which way around the Americans call it.

Neil Choi

Interesting philosophy, keep us posted on your use of tyre combination.

bazzbazz

I wouldn't really call it a philosophy Neil, more like "Lateral Thinking"  . . . . to overcome the restrictions of the 147s boot space . . . . whilst still going faster through the corners.   ;)

Bobulon, "Loose" and "Tight/locked in" are usually references to the REAR end of the car and its willingness to have the rear end lose traction (loose) or to hold its grip (tight/locked in).

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Mick A

I think you would be a fool to put two different sets of tyres on the car. You'll end up putting it into a wall.

A front strut brace on the GTA makes a noticeable improvement to the handling.

Your back seat folds down, you'll easily fit four wheels in the back.

Cheers

Mick

bazzbazz

Quote from: Mick A on August 14, 2016, 11:08:08 PM
I think you would be a fool to put two different sets of tyres on the car. You'll end up putting it into a wall.

Don't disagree with you on either point, and not trying to encourage it, but you do remember that in many classes of racing they do deliberately use different compound tyres, on all 4 tyres and differing front & rear.

He could always fit a towbar and use a trailer . . . . .  ;)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Colin Edwards

I dont think their would be a scruitineer on the planet that would let you out on the track with slicks on the front and road tyres on the rear!
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Neil Choi

Back to the OP, Bobulon, just a matter of interest, which track and who with did you run your car.  What times did you do.
You are certainly welcome to come out to our sprint days if you are in Melbourne or if you have not been before, and even do Alfa Racing with us in November.
We got one at Broadford this weekend and then Sandown in Sept.

Smaan

Best option is to remove the interior to fit the 4 slicks in.
Like you I'm wanting to get the GTA to a track day but just have some maintenance issues to attend to first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wantok

Don't think putting racing slicks on a std suspension GTA would be the way to go honestly

We used to run R series tyres (Nitto NT01) and drive to the track for track days with B14 coilovers and S/S braided brake lines and HT brake fluid and can get round Lakeside in 66 secs.

Cheers
Wantok

Bobulon

Quote from: Neil Choi on August 15, 2016, 09:30:41 PM
Back to the OP, Bobulon, just a matter of interest, which track and who with did you run your car.  What times did you do.
You are certainly welcome to come out to our sprint days if you are in Melbourne or if you have not been before, and even do Alfa Racing with us in November.
We got one at Broadford this weekend and then Sandown in Sept.

Hi Neil, I was in Melbourne for the first 5 months of the year but now back home in Brizzy. I wish I was still down south to be honest, so many quiet twisty country roads down there! Up here it's a bit limited and there's always slow pokes holding you up :o I was at Morgan Park Raceway

Quote from: wantok on August 17, 2016, 07:18:25 PM
Don't think putting racing slicks on a std suspension GTA would be the way to go honestly

We used to run R series tyres (Nitto NT01) and drive to the track for track days with B14 coilovers and S/S braided brake lines and HT brake fluid and can get round Lakeside in 66 secs.

Cheers
Wantok

Ah they are called R series? that's what I meant by semi-slicks ;D I also have B14s, braided lines, strut brace, Q2 and 330mm Brembos. Have never been on Lakeside yet. Looks fun though, saw some races there about a month ago