Series 3 Sprint Veloce QV

Started by cranberry, August 01, 2016, 11:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cranberry

A question for all you Sprint aficionados...did the last series Sprint Veloce ever make it here in QV form with the 77 kw motor?

colcol

The Alfasud based Sprints had the 95 horse power, [70 kilowatt], motor, twin 36 i.D.F. webers, 1500 cc, solid lifters.
The 33 based Sprints had the 105 horse power, [78 kilowatt], motor, twin 36 I.D.F. webers, 1500 cc, solid lifters.
The 77 kilowatt motor was used in overseas Sprints, but not in Australia, because it didn't pass Australia's unique emision laws.
Until that is until 1984, when Australia rejigged its emision laws to be the same as Sweden's, then the 78 kilowatt engine just sneaked in.
Not sure if the 1700 Sprint made it to Australia, but made it to New Zealand, the Sprints were purchased by Craig Halstead??, and shipped to Coloundra and turned into Giacotolo's and the 1700 motors were sold to boxer peddellers who needed more power, the motors and gearboxes were about $3,000 each in about 1986, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Sportscar Nut

No, sadly the Sprint QV 1.7 was never sold new in Aust. You could always fit a 1.7 to an 86 Sprint!

Have purchased a few Sprints parts from the Giacotollo cars over the years.

colcol

If i remember rightly, Giacatolo kit came with 1700 engine with carbs, gearbox front brakes, rear axle, was advertised for sale in Satudays [1985??] AGE, mate that purchased one had many sleepless nights after he sent $3,000 in 1985 to an 80's whizkidd, was relieved when the parts turned up!, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

cranberry

Thanks guys. Can anyone tell me where the compliance plate should be located on one of the later Sprints? I had a look at one yesterday and couldn't find it for the life of me. A picture would be great. Thanks.

Craig_m67

Compliance plates on mine were attached to the inner RH wing, near the exhaust pollution charcol canister and airpump (if still fitted, mine didn't last long).  (Small) Build plate was on the engine side of the battered tray bulkhead/buttress.

I'm a bit lost with the nomenclature being used in this thread. I always considered my; 1985 build, 1987 compliance and 1988 first reg Sprint QV to be a series 3. It was unleaded, with pollution gubbins but otherwise identical to the last leaded twin carb QV's - maybe it's a series 2.5 :)

I thought the series 4 was a carb 1700, grey coloured dash and painted rear lip spoiler that never officially made it to Aust. (A few to NZ)

Craig
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Sportscar Nut

Yep Craig - series 4 Sprint QV is a twin carb 1700 8 valve and were never sold in Aust.