Sud Racer No Start

Started by Trikes, July 17, 2016, 07:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Don't worry about if valves are open or not, just line up the marks on the cams to camshaft housing and tighten the tensioner pulley nut, the marks may be a few degrees out but not more than about 5 degrees.
Rotate the engine carefully by hand and make sure nothing locks up.
Make sure you haven't got one side of the timing 180 degrees out, [as i have done once].
It sounds like the cam timing is out on the 2-4 bank.
Rotate the engine so that the number 2 and 4 pistons are  away from the valves, then retime the 2-4 camshaft, if you just rotate the camshaft, the valves may hit the pistons, this is why you have the 2-4 pistons away from the valves, while you line up the camshaft with the mark.
The cams rotate at half the speed of the crankshaft.
Hope this helps, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

poohbah

Hey guys, I'm no mechanic, but if you are interested in watching video of someone else replacing the cambelt and setting the valve timing on a Sud, have a look at Wheelers and Dealers episode ion the Sud Ti they bought. Its not a detailed blow-by-blow DIY video, and may not have any practical use, but it might jog your memory if you missed anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwepUdbNWqo
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Trikes

poohbah

1981 GTV

Trikes

All three no worky. Might be because of the rubbish that happened in the US a few days back.

poohbah

I think you have to register with the website to watch, but registration is free.

Here's another one.

http://the-watch-series.to/episode/wheeler_dealers_s12_e12.html

that said, its not a real blow by blow account, but I do recall it shows getting the cams correctly lined up in some detail.
            1981 GTV

Trikes

Well the Sud engine is to go for an engine rebuild at the end of March. Been working 7 days a week (Detailing cars) to raise the cash and I'm almost there. I'm excited  ;D

Trikes

Hit a wall with finding parts for the engine. The Engine Builder rang me to ask if I can source / find some other bits as I found the correct size Mains in the UK. So I'm wondering if any of the Australian Parts Suppliers have some bits. I need 20thou Plain Big Ends and Engine Gasket Kit and 4 Exhaust Valves. I believe the valves are a std in a 1.5. The Engine Builder had to buy two sets of rings just to make a set as the Second ring is a different size from std. Just this morning the Engine Builder asked if I want it bored? Nope, was my reply. So I'll start with ringing Dom / Mark at Italian Automotive Spares. Any other suggestions?

Sportscar Nut

Trikes, assuming you have the 1.5 twin carb engine, parts should not be hard to find. Try Alfasud Parts in the UK or the Spare Place in Adelaide. Monza Motors, Italian Job & Mille Miglia Motors in Melbourne should be able to assist and probably with NOS parts but are not cheap (but worth it). Ie I only ever properly sealed the Sud engine sump when I purchased a NOS gasket. The aftermarket ones are simply too thin.

Good luck and they are fun to rebuild.

Paul

amichie

Send the list of what you need. I think I have all those parts.

Trikes

You guy's have lifted my spirits considerably.

I need 20thou Undersize Plain Big Ends (no grooved Big Ends)
Complete Gasket Overhaul Set.
Four Exhaust Valves 8mm / 97.2/5 33mm Dia (That's why I had no compression).

Exhaust Valves are std in a 1.5.

This engine is a 1597cc but most 1.5 stuff goes straight in from what we have worked out.

We have Rings Water Pump and Thrust Washers

What else do I need? Original Pistons are good. Compression is 10.5:1.

Block / Rods / Crank are spot on.

Heads are impressively good. Dizzy is a bit worn / just ok.

Freight to Tasmania 7010.

Trikes

Well I sent the list of what I needed but Amiche must have died or something.

Ready to shove this Alfa over a Cliff atm. Can't get parts atm.

I'll ring around a bit more........ very frustrating.

Sportscar Nut

Trikes, did you try all the suppliers I suggested? Suds are not a modern Toyota and hence you need some patience sourcing the parts but I have never had any difficulty finding. PM me if you want to discuss over the phone.

Chin up!
Paul

David Mills

Did I see the Sud on the road in Kingston today?